02

TW: abuse

SHAN

"I love you, Shan... Mom loves you always. I promise to give you the perfect family."

Lie.

She lied. All of them lied to me. If that was true, then why was Dad always yelling at me? Why was he always mad at me? Did I do something wrong? But... I was five. I didn't know a thing.

"That costs a lot! What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" I started tearing up while holding my dad's watch. It was on the floor, and I was about to put it back inside his drawer, but he suddenly barged inside the room and yelled.

He was mad... I could see how mad he was. I couldn't do anything but tremble in fear. I opened my mouth to explain, but he snatched the watch out of my small hands and grabbed me by my arm to force me out of his room.

"Stay inside your room and never go out!" He slammed the door closed as I cried while I was on the floor.

"Mom... Mommy..." I cried while calling for her outside. I tried knocking on the door so she would hear me... but I forgot that she was at work.

Umupo na lang ako sa sahig at niyakap ang mga tuhod ko habang umiiyak. I was thirsty... and hungry. I wanted to go out, but I was afraid Dad would see me. I did not break his watch... It was already broken on the floor.

"It's not my fault..." I cried while whispering that to myself.

I looked up when I heard a noise on my window. Tumayo kaagad ako at naglakad palapit saka binuksan ang bintana nang makita si Hiro sa baba. My playmate!

"Let's play!" he yelled and gestured for me to go down. Tinaas pa niya ang laruang hawak niya. "I'm bored." Ngumuso siya at sinubukan pa rin akong pababain.

"I can't!" Umiling ako sa kaniya kaya mas napasimangot siya. "I can't go out of my room!"

"Why? Is the door closed?" He tilted his head to the side, confused and full of wonder. He looked so innocent. I just nodded so he wouldn't ask more questions. "But the window's open!"

Natawa ako saglit at umiling ulit sa kaniya. Ang sabi ko ay masyadong mataas para tumalon ako mula sa bintana. Tumango na lang siya sa akin at naglakad paalis kaya umupo na lang ulit ako sa kama ko at tumitig sa kisame.

I watched the clock move, waiting for my mom to go home until I heard another noise on my window. Tumayo ulit ako at tumingin sa labas, expecting that it was my mom but I saw Hiro again. My lips parted in shock when I saw him struggling while pulling a rolled mattress with a rope.

"What's that?!" nagtatakang tanong ko sa kaniya.

"So it won't hurt when you go down!" He gave me an innocent smile before wiping his sweat. Did his mom even allow him to bring that mattress? He struggled in pulling it out of the rope before putting it down on the ground, just below my window. "Go! Go!"