09

"Are you sure you can move your stuff alone?" 

Right after my high school graduation, I didn't even have time to celebrate as soon as I got home. I just started packing my things so I could move to my condo. Wala akong pakialam kung hindi pa start ng classes at may summer pa. Kailangan ko nang umalis sa bahay na 'to. I had waited for it my whole life. 

"Kuya Roel will help me," I told Tita Erin. Elyse was just outside and seated on the stairs, pouting. She was probably mad at me for leaving the house too early, but she would never understand why. Not at her age. Siguro kapag lumaki na siya, maiintindihan niya na. I just hoped she wouldn't learn it the hard way. 

I was still hesitant to leave because of Elyse. What if dad started showing his true colors to her? That... wouldn't happen, right? I had seen enough to know that he could never treat her like how he treated me because she was his favorite child. She was the loved child. He was different around her. 

But I still planned to visit often just to check up on Elyse. I can't just leave her here alone... but she had her mom and I had enough of this set-up. Gusto ko nang makawala. Kahit wala akong alam kung paano mamuhay mag-isa, aalamin ko, makaalis lang sa bahay na 'to. 

I packed all of my things with no plans of coming back. I only left the furniture because the unit was already furnished. I heard Tita Erin helped with it. Wala na rin akong pakialam kung ano ang hitsura ng unit. I could live anywhere else except here. 

"Are you mad at me?" I sat beside Elyse on the stairs when Kuya Roel gathered all my things and put them in the van. She couldn't even look at me. She was so bad at hiding her feelings. 

"No." Umismid siya at tumingin sa kabilang direksyon, ayaw akong kausapin. 

"I will visit you often. We'll still see each other." I tried to make her feel better, but she just crossed her arms over her chest and still refused to show me her face. 

"Trust me, Eli. Once you grow up, you wouldn't want me around you anymore." I laughed and poked her cheek with my finger. She probably would start hiding boys from me or 'yong pagpunta niya sa parties. Who would want a strict brother around them, right? 

"That's not true!" Sinamaan niya ako ng tingin. I think I just made the situation worse... but she still wouldn't be able to understand. She could say that now but I knew she would change her mind after realizing that she wanted to be alone too. Kapag lumaki na siya, tatakas na rin 'yan sa bodyguard niya. Tatakas na rin 'yan sa driver. Tatakas na 'yan sa akin or sa Mommy niya. 

"Well... I have to go now." Tumayo ako at naglakad pababa ng hagdanan ngunit huminto ako para tingnan siya ulit. I didn't want to go with her sulking like that, but my dad will go home in a second, so I wanted to leave without seeing him. "Goodbye, Eli. You have Jewel. She will replace me here." 

She just rolled her eyes and hugged the puppy. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako sa kaniya bago naglakad palabas, leaving the house. It was a new start for me... A new start of a peaceful life. 

The van moved out of the gate at the same time I saw my dad's car enter. I felt relieved when we were finally on the road. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily. "Finally..." I whispered out of relief.