44

TW: rape, abuse

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I will be using a mixture of reality and fiction when it comes to criminal procedures. This story does NOT display the proper representation of the real procedures in court. 

SHAN

"May we call Ms. Madilyn Ramos to come to the witness stand." 

Seeing her, the victim in this case, gather all her courage to stand up and go in front as a witness made my heart drop. She still looked devastated and scared, but she told me she was ready to stand in court if that would help put Miguel behind bars. 

She took the oath and introduced herself before I asked her questions. "What was your relationship with Miguel Villaflor before the incident?" 

"We were friends for a year because of common friends." Her hands were shaking as she answered. 

"How was Miguel Villaflor as a friend?" I asked again. 

She told us that he portrayed himself as a nice guy who was always there to help. Nadala rin sila sa storya niya tungkol sa pamilya niya, lalo na sa Mommy niya. She said he liked joking around and partying and was easy to get along with. 

I stated the date of the incident. It was a house party in Villaflor's mansion in Quezon City. May bahay rin sila roon pero si Miguel lang ang naroon madalas. I asked what happened that night. I knew it was an uncomfortable question, but she told me that she was ready to answer beforehand. 

"We were with our other friends that night. The party started around ten o'clock in the evening. It was my first time attending one of Miguel's house parties, so I was shocked to see how everyone acted. They offered me a drink, and I accepted it. After three cups, I told Miguel I had to go because I was not feeling well. Miguel handed me another cup and told me just to relax a bit. Minutes after drinking that cup, I felt dizzy. Everything was spinning. Miguel asked if I was okay, then he carried me to his room so I could rest..." 

She started crying. I stared at her as she cried and tried to tell the rest of the story. My chest was hurting, but I had to maintain my composure. She told us that Miguel looked like he wasn't himself and even had a deadly weapon with him to threaten her. She tried to get away from him but she lost consciousness after he hit her in the face twice. She went to the hospital as soon as she regained consciousness. 

"What examinations or tests did they conduct?" 

"Physical examination. The OB-gyne examined my private part too. I also went through a drug test." 

"What happened after you got your results?" 

"The doctors were alarmed and called the police. Then, my dad and I filed a formal complaint against Miguel Villaflor."

"No further questions, Your Honor." 

I went back to my seat as it was the defense attorney's turn for cross-examination of the witness. Amethyst walked in front in confidence.