25

"Okay po... I'll just get my things."

Binaba ko ang phone pagkatapos ng call namin ni Tita Erin. She was just asking if it would be okay for me to stay in the mansion since Elyse would be left alone and we could have time to hang out with each other. May natitira pa akong exam na kailangan i-take kaya balak kong mag-aral lang. 

Nilagay ko sa bag ang mga libro at ibang gamit na kailangan ko bago nag-drive papuntang mansion. When I went inside, it was so quiet like there was no one there. Wala ang mga helpers. I was guessing that it was their day off. 

Umakyat ako sa kwarto ni Elyse at kumatok. "Elyse?"

I heard some footsteps inside. I waited a few more seconds before she opened the door. She looked so shocked to see me. Tita Erin didn't tell her?

"Kuya!" She flashed an awkward smile. "Nandito ka pala! What brings you here?"

"Are you okay?" She was sweating. Hindi naman mainit. "Your mom informed me that you're going to be left alone in the house, so I'm staying here until tomorrow. I'll leave around five A.M, though. I need to go to school."

"What?!" She didn't look so happy with that.

"I'll just study in the living room. I'll call you when dinner's ready." I closed the door and went downstairs. Baka may ginagawa siya. I didn't want to disturb her anymore. 

I put my things on the coffee table and sat on the floor so I could start studying. While I was busy highlighting and putting some sticky notes on the book, I saw Elyse trying to open the back door. Napalingon ako sa kaniya.

She was really acting weird... but I needed to focus on my exam more, so I went back to studying. She will be fine. 

I searched for some sample cases online and had to print them, so I went upstairs. The printer was inside Alfred's office, and I still had to connect my laptop. When I passed by Elyse's room, I heard something. 

My jaw dropped when I heard a man's voice. Lumapit pa ako at nilagay ang tainga ko sa pintuan para marinig nang maayos. Did I hear that right? Or baka naman nagkamali lang ako? 

But what if... it was a man? I immediately stepped back until I was against the opposite wall. I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from making noise. 

Hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko. I started walking back and forth while thinking about what to do. Should I knock again? Should I intervene? Should I make sure that it was a man, or was I just hearing things? 

No... Elyse wouldn't lie to me like that. 

I decided to just print the cases first. After that, I went downstairs and sat on the floor, thinking. Nakatulala lang ako sa mga libro ko. Kuya Roel even arrived with paper bags for Elyse. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang laman noon. 

Hindi ko alam kung gaano katagal na akong nagbabasa pero walang pumapasok sa utak ko. I massaged my head in frustration.