-Chapter 1: Do You Want To Play A Game?-

Y/N pov

A/N: Just pick a name for your brother. It will be shown as Y/B/N

"Can we get chocolate today?" My little brother asks. I sigh and watch as his gaze lingers over to the 7-11 store. "No, Y/B/N. Not today. Sorry." I reply, ruffling his hair. "I promise, we can get a chocolate bar on your birthday." I say. He nods and as we approach our apartment, he sighs. "I don't want to go to summer camp." He says. I had sent him to a free summer camp that is provided to us by the school. He would be gone for a week, giving me enough time to ruffle up some money.

"Sorry, Kiddo. You have to." I reply. I unlock the crappy door we had as it squeaks as we push it. "You have to pack." I say. He nods and runs off to the room we share.

That night, we ate instant noodles for dinner and after tucking him to bed, I said goodnight to my parents in spirit before going to bed myself. We had a fair amount of money before, we were just getting by with our father and I's jobs. However, our father fell sick and we used the money to pay for the treatment. It lasted him a year before...a few months ago....he finally died. I've been working double shifts at my job to get by. Enough to pay for Y/B/N's school and for a bit of food. That was it.

————————————

After dropping Y/B/N off at school for his camp, I go to the train station to go to work. As I sit on a bench, contemplating how much I need to save for Y/B/N's birthday, a man clears his throat beside me. "Excuse me." I look up and spot a well dressed man. He seemed to be a businessman and carried a large briefcase. "Whatever you have, I don't want it" I say, turning away. He takes a seat next to me and places his case down. "Would you like to play a game?" He asks. He opens his case to reveal a whole lot of money and two coloured cards. "You are familiar with this game, yes?" He asks, picking up the two coloured cards. I nod slowly, confused about where this was going. "If you are able to flip my card over, I will give you 100,000 won. However, every time I win, you must give me 100,000 won." He says as I eye the money in the case.

"I'll let you go first." He says. I sigh and rub my head. "Look, if this is a scam, I'll probably kill you right here." I say, the effect of Y/B/N going away for a bit taking a toll. He just looks at me and smiles, silently telling me that it isn't a scam. "I'll go first?" I ask. He nods and holds out the two coloured papers. "Which colour do you want?" He asks. "Blue." I say.

He sets up and I watch as he stands off to the side. "Go ahead," He says. I nod and take a stance before attempting to flip his paper. It didn't work. He takes his paper and throws it down, flipping mine in the process. "100,000 won." He says, holding out his hand. "I...I don't have any money..." I reply, scratching my neck. He thinks for a moment before smiling again. "Every time you lose, I get to slap you." He says.

This goes on for a while, I keep on trying and he keeps on slapping until my face is all red. Finally, I kiss my knuckles in good luck and throw it....successfully flipping it over. I jumped up in excitement "Ha! There you go! I won!" I say. He claps before handing me money. "100,000 won." He says. I take it and hold it with me as he hands me another card. "If you want to play more games to get money, call this number." He says before packing his case and leaving.

Going home, I turn the card around in my hands as I scan the details. It was a business card with a Triangle, square and a circle on one side and a phone number on the other. I look at the money the man gave me, clearly not a scam before picking up my phone and dialling the number.

"Hello?" Someone asks after they pick up. "Yes, Hi. I got this number from a business man's card?" I say. The voice is silent for a moment before they speak again. "Do you wish to join the game?" He asks. "Yes." I reply, "please state your name and date of birth to continue." I sigh. This is personal information. However, the money is real. And I am pretty desperate. "Y/N Y/L/N. (Your birthdate)" I reply. The man is silent again before responding. "At midnight tonight, stand on the street outside your building. A car will pick you up. Remember, the password is Red light, Green light." He says before hanging up. I pull the phone away from my ear and look at the time.

11:30

I take my jacket, phone and wallet before quickly eating a bit and going downstairs.

11:50

I stand on the street, looking down the road for a car. Guess I'm doing this.

Word Count: 917

A/N: First Squid Game story! Be sure to voteeeee!

Any suggestions?

-R