-Chapter 17: The Final Game-

-
-
Why? How? Why her? Why not me? These questions kept repeating in my head as I held her. Soon, guards came over and pried her out of my arms. "No!" I shout, standing to reach out for her. Some guards held me back as I watched them carry her body away. "Please! No! I can't leave her. I can't... leave...." I trail off as I watch them place her into the box. Her dead face and lifeless body was placed inside. I watched as they covered the lid of the box. Making that the last time I would probably see her. I turn my head to Gi-Hun who was now staring at the blood soaked bed after getting pushed back by a guard for attacking Sang-Woo. That's when I spotted Sang-Woo.

How dare he. I grabbed my knife that laid n my pocked and ran at him. He watches me before lifting his own knife but we both get stopped by guards. "You must wait until the next game." He says. I growled and spat at his shoes. "Oh I will."
————————————

The box gets rolled away. My eyes never left it until it was out of the room. There she goes. The love of my life. The guards lead us to the next room before stopping at a doorway. "Player 218, Player 456 and Player 307, welcome to the final game. Before we begin, we'll flip a coin to decide who plays offense or defense. Assuming 456 and 307 are a team?" The guard asks. I look at Gi-Hun who has anger in his eyes. I'm sure mine looked the same and I nod at the guards "Please choose a shape. Triangle or square." The guard asks.

"Triangle." I say. My eyes not leaving Sang-Woo's at all. The guard flips the coin. "Triangle. Please choose either offence or defence." He says. I growl at Sang-Woo. Hatred dripping from my voice as I reply. "Offence."

We get led onto a large field. I immediately spot the doll from Red light, Green light and it creeped me out. This time, there were lines on the floor. "Player 456 and 307 are playing offence while player 218 is defence. For the final game, you will be playing squid game." The guard says. Gi-Hun and I face Sang-Woo as the masked guard speaks.

"Let me explain the rules of Squid Game. One, the attacker must enter the squid shape court, run past the defense, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with his foot to secure the win. Two, the defender must block the attacker's advance and force them outside of the court's bounds in order to win. Three, if a situation arises, in which either player is unable to continue playing the game, the last one standing will be the winner."

"A player is unable to continue. Could you please explain that?" I ask, my eyes never leaving Sang-Woo's. "That would be referring to a Player's death." He clarifies. My state makes Sang-Woo shift in his stance. His eyes wander to the floor and he grips his knife tighter. I'm making him nervous. Good. He should be.

"And with that, let the game begin." The masked manager says. Sang-Woo walks into the middle of the squid shape and watches as Gi-Hun and I walk to the outside. I see Gi-Hun kneel to tie his shoes before picking up some sand. Gi-Hun hops to one side while I hop on the other. We were split up on either side of the squid. Sang-Woo needing to turn his head many times to watch both of us at once. "We always use to play this as kids." Gi-Hun starts. "When we cross, do you remember what we called it?" He asks Sang-Woo. Sang-Woo steps forward at him, holding up his knife. "Shut up. Who cares about that?" He grits out.

Sang-Woo takes a step toward Gi-Hun. That's when he looks at me and nods before throwing the sand at Sang-Woo's face. As he groans and coughs, Gi-Hun and I walk across the neck of the squid together. Passing each other in the process to the other side. I was now on Sang-Woo's side. "Inspector Royal." Gi-Hun says from his side. He walks along the outside of the squid now and I do the same. Light patter of water starts and I look up to see the sky turn darker. I step into the squid shape. Sang-Woo immediately turns to face me with his knife up. "To think that you were ever friends with Gi-Hun is a pain." I say. "Look at you." I say, pointing my knife at him. "Look at your pathetic, desperate, merciless self." I say. "The fact that we have to waste time actually dealing with you is a shame."

Sang-Woo watches as Gi-Hun joined me inside the squid now. "I put an end to her suffering. You know she would have died anyway." Sang-Woo says. I stand there, emotionless. Any emotion I had left me the moment Sae-Byeok laid lifeless in my arms. "That's bullshit and you know it. She could have survived. Is money that important?" I say. "We could have left and helped each other instead." Gi-Hun says. "I know what you're like, Gi-Hun. Okay? I knew you'd try to help those two." He says before turning to me. "And you'd do anything to save her. Your little girlfriend." He says. "Oh sorry. Former girlfriend." He snarls at is. I let a low growl as I take a step towards him. "You're the reason she's gone." I say. "And you two are the reasons I had to kill her. I knew if I didn't that you two would stop this to get her out. At least with her gone, you two and mad enough to continue." He adds.

"So that's it? You killed someone because you thought this might end?" Gi-Hun asks. "Yeah! You three were the majority you needed to get out! Leaving without a single cent. I couldn't do that!" Sang-Woo shouts. "She was the one who stopped me. Cause I tried to kill you with this." Gi-Hun says, pulling his knife out. "I guess she should have let you." I say before glaring back at Sang-Woo. "It's over. I'm not letting you leave here with that money." I say. I step forward and swing my knife at his face. He dodges back and holds his own knife out. "Stay back" He says. "Or what! You'll kill me too?" I shout. Gi-Hun runs and tackles Sang-woo to the ground as he was watching me. The two lock into a wrestling match on the group before Sang-Woo pushes Gi-Hun out of the way to hold his knife.

"You bastard." He mutters. Gi-Hun runs at him with his knife but Sang-Woo spins him and makes him drop the knife. I run behind him and kick at his knees, making him fall to the ground slightly. He releases Gi-Hun as I place my knife to his throat. "How should I do this, huh?" I ask. "I could do it the way you killed Sae-Byeok. Stab in the neck. Or maybe the way Ali died. By winning the game." I say, reminding him of his actions. "Of course I could also just shove you until you hit you head to die. That could work" I say. Sang-Woo growls before using his elbow to hit my knee, making them buckle. I fall slightly as he snatched my knife. "Or I could try a new method. How does stabbing you in the head sound!" He shouts before going for the stab. I duck as he does and walk away to stand with Gi-Hun.

Sang-Woo stand. He looks around, making us do the same. "You recognise it? It's the damn place they made us play red light, green light." Sang-Woo shouts. "So many people played with us. But now they're all dead. All except us." He adds. "We've already come too far to end this now." He says before Gi-Hun rushes at him again. He wrestles the knives out of his grip and I kick it away. Leaving only Gi-Hun with a knife now. Sang-Woo shoves Gi-Hun again, taking his knife and runs at me, making me fall to the ground. He lift the knife as I lift my hand to block, making the knife go right through my hand. He pushes it deeper and I yell as I push it back. It hurt like hell. But not as much as losing 067. Gi-Hun kicks Sang-Woo while shouting. "You're the one who killed them. You did it. It's your fault!"

Once again, Sang-Woo drops the knife and Gi-Hun picks it up and stabs at the ground near Sang-Woo's head before turning and walking to the head of the squid, knowing Sang-Woo had stopped fighting. I follow him, eyeing the other man before Gi-Hun stops. "I can't." He says. "I want to end it." He adds. He repeats the clause 3 agreement and walks to Sang-Woo.

He looks up at us, before his eyes stay at Gi-Hun. " I just thought....how they use to call our names...when our moms made supper for us." He says. "That won't happen again." He says. Gi-Hun holds out his hand. "Sang-Woo. Let's get out of here." He says. Sang-Woo doesn't move. He doesn't look anywhere but the sky. "Y/N. I'm sorry. I know...you can't forgive me. I know it won't bring her back. But she was a good person. She didn't deserve what I did to her." Sang-Woo says. I feel tears in my eye as he admits it. My hatred for him still there, but slightly less. But that doesn't change the fact she's gone.

"Gi-Hun." Sang-Woo says. "I'm sorry." With that, he picks up the knife near his head and stabbing his neck. The same way he did to Sae-Byeok. He gurgles blood as Gi-Hun kneels beside him. "Sang-Woo." He says. "Gi-Hun. Go help my mother." Sang-Woo mutters. "Help her." He trails. "Sang-Woo. No, Sang-Woo." Gi-Hun cries. As much as I hated him, Gi-Hun knew him since childhood. There is no way I could understand his loss. And that was the last game. Sang-Woo left us. Not physically, but we knew he wasn't there anymore. Gi-Hun held him as I help Sae-Byeok. The rain was still soaking our faces and clothes as we stood there. Covered in blood and injured. We were both more than 20 billion won richer, but it came with the guilt of the deaths of over 400 people.

————————————
Word Count: 1838