-Chapter 16 2.0: Mercy-

-
-
A/N: this is after the fancy smancy dinner they had and they're going to bed. Alternate ending begins.

———

Back at our beds, the four of us are watching the timer countdown to zero for lights out.

3
2
1
Click

"Attention Players, it is now lights out."

The lights dim and the only light we can see is the one at the door. After a few beats, I walk over to Sae-Byeok's bed where she seems to be dozing off. "Sae-Byeok." I whisper, extending my hand to shake her. Before I can, she wakes up and turns to me, holding her knife out. I raise my hands in defence. "Whoa, it's just me." I say.

Sae-Byeok lowers her knife slowly, exhaling as she does. "Y/N." She mutters before putting her knife away. I nod at the space beside her and she nods, shuffling a little. I take a seat on her bed, looking out at Sang-Woo who was opposite us. "Are you sure you're alright?" I ask her. She doesn't reply which makes me turn my head to look at her. "Hey." I say, nudging her with my shoulder. "I'm fine." She mutters. I watch as she tries to adjust her position and grimace slightly. "Mhm. Sure." I say. "Then why did you barely touch your food?" I ask. She looks down at her lap, twisting her knife around. "It wasn't really cooked, that's all." She says.

I look away, taking her hand in mine. She holds my hand tightly, as if I would disappear if she let me go. "Stop lying, Sae-Byeok." I say, sighing. "It doesn't matter anyway. Even if I was hurt, you wouldn't be able to treat it." She says. We stay silent for a while before she speaks up. "If you get out, what do you plan to do?" She asks. I chuckle and absentmindedly rub the back of her hand. "Well, I would get my brother into a better school. Get a better apartment. Afford better food and maybe go on a holiday...." I trail off before smiling widely. "I'd ask you on a date" I add, Eyeing her as I see her blush. "I mean, you will say yes, right?" I ask. She doesn't respond so I turn to her. "Is that a no then?" I ask, pouting. "Well, I didn't say that." She says. I peck her on the lips as I hear someone come beside us.

"Kang Sae-Byeok. Y/N Y/L/N" I had my knife up and watched him as he lowered his own. "I have this for protection against him...." Gi-Hun trails off, nodding at Sang-Woo. I lower my own knife and nod as he sat at the end of the bed. "You two make a good couple." Gi-Hun says, smiling slightly. I blush and look down as I hear Sae-Byeok chuckle. "Well, we aren't official." Sae-Byeok says. I look up and tilt my head slightly before turning to her. "Not yet." I say. Sae-Byeok looks at him. "We were talking about what we'd do when we get out. What about you?" She asks. Gi-Hun thinks for a moment before answering

"Pay off all my debts first. Then buy my mother a nice clean store. She always hoped to run a real store." Gi-Hun notes, smiling a little. "And maybe I can finally be an actual dad to my little girl." He finishes. Sae-Byeok turns to him, tilting her head. "How old is your daughter?" She asks "she's ten." Gi-Hun replies. "Huh. That's the same age as my brother." Sae-Byeok says. "And where is he?" Gi-Hun asks. "In a shelter." Sae-Byeok answers. "And you?" Gi-Hun asks me. "My brother is 9 and is at school. He usually lives at my apartment." I say. Gi-Hun nods. Sae-Byeok tells him about her parents, her financial situation, her brother, and living ways. He nods his head while listening, a pitying expression on his face. Once she was done, the three of us sat in silence, watching the timer that counted down until the next game.

"Hey Guys?"  Sae-Byeok asks. "I think the three of us should make a deal." She says. "Just in case either of us can actually make it out of this hellhole somehow. We'll take care of each other's loved ones." She says. I frown and look at her. Why is she acting as if we won't make it? "Don't say that. We'll beat Sang-Woo and get out." I say, shaking my head. Sae-Byeok sighs and takes my hands again. "I still want you to swear though." She says, looking directly at Gi-Hun and I.

I open my mouth to swear when Gi-Hun silences us. I turn to see him watching Sang-Woo who had fallen asleep. His arm goes slack and his knife drops to the bed. Gi-Hun walks slowly to his bed, pulling his knife out of his pocket. He treads silently so that he makes no sound. "Don't do it." Sae-Byeok says. "That isn't you. You're a good person at heart." She adds. I watch as Gi-Hun sighs and slowly pockets his knife again. My eyes remain on his slouched form as we stay silent again. I hear a soft thud from beside me and turn my head to see Sae-Byeok now leaning on the frame of the bed, clutching her abdomen and wincing.

"Sae-Byeok?" I say, moving to look at her. That's when I see the dark red stains on the crisp white shirt she was wearing. "You...you're." I get out, professing what I'm seeing. "What? When did this happen? Sae-Byeok?" I say, holding my hand above hers on her abdomen. Gi-Hun ran back to us, also panicking. Sae-Byeok just groans and closes her eyes in pain. "No, no. Stay with me Sae-Byeok." I say. She opens her eyes and looks at me, Fear in her eyes. "Princess, I don't...I don't want to die." She says. "I'm not letting you." I say. I turn to Gi-Hun and instruct him to get help. He nods and rushes to the door. "Don't let go of this, Sae-Byeok. Stay with me." I say, her blood now coating my hands.

I wipe the back of my hand against her forehead, her sweat getting onto my hand. "God, why didn't you tell me...." I mutter, watching her as she would groan, grimace and wince. I hear Gi-Hun screaming at the door, banging it and pointing at the camera. I feel Sae-Byeok's free hand grab mine. "Hey Princess, I think I wanna go home." She mutters. She opens her eyes and her eyes widen. "Y-Y/N!" She tries to say. I was about to reply when I hear someone behind me. I turn to see Sang-Woo there with his knife raised. He attempts to stab me but I dodge, making sure to push him as well to get away from Sae-Byeok.

"she's going to die. Can't you see that?" Sang-Woo says, glaring at me. "Why won't you just let me finish my job?" He grits out. I pull my knife out and swing it at him. "Because I love her. And I won't let you take her away from me." I say before lunging at him. He falls to the ground and we wrestle around for a bit until I kick his knife out of his hand and point mine at his throat. "You little bitch." I mutter, pressing harder. "Y/N, don't." I hear a small voice say. I look back to see Sae-Byeok forcing herself to sit up while holding her abdomen. "Don't be like him." She says. I take a deep breath and kick him once more before standing. "You're lucky one of us wants to give you mercy." I say, spitting at him before taking his knife and walking away, back to Sae-Byeok.

I watch as he scrambles to get up and walks back to his bed. At this point, I was holding Sae-Byeok on my lap. Her breathing was heavy. "Shhhh." I say, stroking her cheek. That's when the doors open with a loud buzz and guards walked in. "Player 307." They say. "The VIPs have requested that you treat 067. They have an....interest in your relationship." He says before tossing a first aid kit at me. I didn't question it before opening it and grabbing things out. Thank god.

She's alright.

Sae-Byeok will be okay.

—————————————
A/N: First chapter of the alternative ending. She doesn't die! Yay! (Or will she)

Word Count: 1441