-Chapter 19: 001-

-

-

1 YEAR LATER

"Cheol! Y/B/N! You're going to be late for school!" I shout. I hear loud footsteps come running down the stairs of our new apartment. Well, it's been a year so not so new anymore. They appeared in front of me with their backpacks on and a smile on their faces. "We're ready!" They say. I nod and take them down to the area where their school bus was supposed to pick them up. "After school, Jae-Su's mom will pick you two up for your sleepover." I say. Their friend invited them for a sleepover so I had the day off after this. They nod excitedly. The bus arrived and Y/B/N kissed my cheek before going on to save the best seats for them.

Cheol turns to me. "Any word from her?" He asks. I shake my head, he nods. He had a confident look on his face. "I'm sure she will come back someday. She would never leave us." I nod again, feeling a dull ache in my heart. Cheol smiles and kisses my cheek too before getting on and sitting next to Y/B/N. I wave as the bus leaves before turning and walking back into the apartment. I had been working on getting Sae-Byeok and Cheol's mother over. It was going well and she was to be able to come in around 5 months time. A while away, but hopefully it makes it easier to tell Cheol what happened to his sister.

After cleaning up the breakfast mess, I walked outside. I went for a walk along the river nearby before sitting on the grass and just staring into the water. 1 year and my mind still followed Sae-Byeok. Cheol had asked how I met her, I answered truthfully. Or as much as I could do truthfully.

"Miss." Cheol asks. "Call me Y/N. I told you." I replied. "Y/N. Can I ask you something?" I nod in reply. "How did you meet my sister?" He asks. I take a deep breath and sigh. "Well, We met ....at a job. We were both going to earn money there. She wasn't all that warm to me at first but I got her to open up to me. We became good friends and worked together to get the money and later on, we kind of became....." I start, drifting off. "Girlfriends?" Cheol asks. I look at him wide eyed. "I see the way you look when you talk about her. You like her!" He exclaims. I chuckle and nod. "Yes, I like her." I say. He teases me about it for a while until I take him and Y/B/N to bed.

"Excuse me?" Someone asks, snapping me out of my daze. "Would you buy some flowers? Please ma'am, I need to sell them or else they'll wilt." the lady says. I nod and hand her some money before she places the rose down. "Thank you." She says before walking off. I sigh and twirl the flower in my hands. Imagining what it would be like, if I could give it to Sae-Byeok. If she was here. That's when I saw it. I saw a brown card with shapes attached to the flower. I pick it off and look at it. I turn it over before seeing a message.

December 24, 11:30pm, sky building, 7th floor.

From your old teammate.

I stand and take my phone out. I call Gi-Hun, but he doesn't answer. Damn it. I check the time to see it was 11:15. I had 15 minutes to get to sky building. I get a cab there and go to the 7th floor.

It was mostly empty, except for a bed, light and table at the corner near the window. I walk closer to see two people. Gi-Hun was already there, speaking to the person in the hospital bed. I look at who it was to see my old 'teammate'. Oh Ill-Nam.

"001." I mutter. The two turn to me and Gi-Hun nods while 001 smiles. "Y/N. Hello." He says. He tells me about the bet he had with Gi-Hun and how he survived. Or more like, how he was behind the whole game. "How could you do that to us?" I ask. He explains his background. How his tumor was real, his name was real. How he was bored of being rich so he made the game. Giving chances to poor folks like us. How his clients were bored and agreed to make the game. It was all sick, it was all ridiculous. But it also made me realise that anything can happen when you're rich. He somehow made a whole game that killed over 400 people at a time and never got caught. It was impossible, but he made it happen.

Soon after, they talked about the bet again. "I wanna know....I wanna know why you joined us." Gi-Hun asks. "Oh, well, in my childhood I always had so much fun out doing things with all of my friends. We'd lose track of time for hours. I wanted to just... feel something just one last time before I die. And you are not going to get that feeling if you are just going to spectate. And I desperately wanted that." Ill-Nam says. "And playing did that?" Gi-Hun asks. "Hell yeah. You asked why I let you live. By joining... and playing with you... I got that chance to... feel again. Thanks to you... I got to remember all these things that I had... forgotten long ago. It had been such a long time... since I... was able to have that much fun." He trails off. Gi-Hun looks out the window, getting lost in watching the man outside.

Ill-Nam turns to me and smiles. "Y/N. I...I have a surprise for you." He says. His voice was weak, but demanding. Somehow. "W-what is it?" I ask. "When you leave, go to the desk and ask for card number 307." He says. "It has a surprise on it." He says, smiling. He sighs before continuing. "By the way, does Cheol ask about his sister?" He asks. I nod but get no answer. I turn to look at the old man to see his eyes closed and him being motionless. "Look at that. Someone who cares." Gi-Hun says, looking at us. That's when I hear the monitor beep go flat. In the end, he died. 001 died.

Gi-Hun and I stand and look at each other. "How's Cheol?" He asks. I offer a sad smile. "As good as can be. You should visit. He wants to see Uncle Gi-Hun. One of the people his sister knew." I say. Gi-Hun nods and shifts his position. "Well, I have a flight to catch in a weeks time. I'm going to see my daughter." He says. I smile. "That's great." I say. "I'm planning on changing my hair though. Maybe the colour. How does red sound?" He asks. I laugh, like, actually laugh. "It would make you stand out." I say. He nods. "That's the plan." he says as we walk to the lift. "How's Sang-Woo's mother?" I ask. He shrugs. "I got her a store. Like I wanted for my mother. It would have been what Sang-Woo wanted." He says. I nod before we enter the lift. "And...how are you? Holding up okay?" He asks. I sigh. "As much as I can. But no matter what, I can't forget her." I say. Gi-Hun nods and gives me a side hug. "She was a great person." He says as we exit the lift. We separate ways as he walks out the door and I walk to the desk.

"How may I help you?" The lady asks. "I was told to ask for a card number...307?" I say. She nods and hands me a card. One side was the shapes, as usual. The other....

307 and 067 are inseparable.

Go to Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea

From 001

____________________________________________________
A/N: Double chapter today cause I feel like it. Ahah. Random address for the card, it sounds like Ssangman-dong (Gi-Hun's home town) and Seong (Gi-Hun's last name) combined. :P

Word Count: 1312