-Chapter 12: Gganbu-

-
-
What the hell?

Seo-Jun and I don't move. We just stood there. "You have 30 minutes for this game. Let the game begin"
I look at her with a pale face. I can't do this. I can't kill her. "This is horrible!" I say. She just nods and leans on a wall near us, sliding down to sit. "This is just tragic." She says."What are we going to do?" I ask. She looks me in the eye. "Play. Either one of us dies, or both." I sit next to her. "Well...what will we play?" I ask. She shrugs. "I don't know." She says. "Can we just...talk first? We can play a fast game later." She says. I nod as we sit there. "So....talk?" I ask. She nods. "When you get out, what do you plan to do with the money?" She asks. I think for a second. "Well, I would get Y/B/N into a better school. I'd buy us a proper house or apartment. I'd get us insurance and any essential things." I say. Seo-Jun chuckles. "Come on, think bigger!" She says, widening her arms as if to demonstrate. I laugh. "Well, I would like to go on a holiday." I say. "Where to?" She asks. I shrug. "I dunno. Anywhere." I say. She nods. "You should also take Sae-Byeok on a date." She says. I give her a look and she laughs. "Come on, say you will." I tilt my head and smile. "Maybe." I say. "That's enough for me!" She replies. "What about you?" I ask. "Well...I don't have much outside. My family is gone." She starts. "But...I'd like to go out with friends. Ji-yeong, maybe." She mutters the last bit. I grin widely. She does like her. "You maybe." She says. I frown a little. "But we can't...." I say. She nods slowly. "I know."

After a while of silence, I turned to her. "How did your parents die? May I ask." She nods. "It's fine. Well, they provided for my sister and I with as much as they could. As a result, they didn't have enough for themselves. So when debt collectors and thugs came, asking for the money they owe, they didn't have it. As a result, they paid them. They made a deal. Spare my sister and I for their own lives." She says. "But then....my sister died as well. She died because I was too caught up in my own problems, I couldn't take care of her." Seo-Jun finishes. I didn't know how to respond. "They all died...because of me." She whispers. I shake my head and hug her. We sit like that for a while, silence taking over us.

Sae-Byeok's pov

240 and I sit on the steps of our area. She sighs and looks at me. "Since the Korean war, nothing has been this sad. Tragic." She says. I roll my eyes and look at her."What should we play then?" I ask. She smirks a little. "Wow. You're so cold. Cold as ice. What does Y/N see in you?" She says. My heart stops for a second. Y/N. She's going against...163. That must NOT feel good for her. "So, you a spy from the North or what?" I roll my eyes and look at her. "Hey, stop with the dumbshit, girl." I say. "What game are we gonna play?" I ask again. "You tell me. These boomers know all these games." She says, gesturing around us. "Ten marbles, then we can create our own game. I'll try to come up with one." She adds. After a while, 240 turns to me. "So let's....end it all in one round. All or nothing, a simple bet." She says. I give her a look and she raises a brow. "Don't tell me you'd rather do what they are." She says, nodding at a pair. I look to see them on the floor, throwing marbles. Yikes.

"Okay. Playing what then?" I ask. "Why are you in such a hurry? You're just dying to kill me, huh?" 240 jokes. "We're just playing one round here...and we've got time left too. Let's wait till the end." She says. I sigh. "What are we going to do before then?" I ask. "Talk," She replies. "About what though?" I ask again. "Things we never told anybody about I guess.
One of us is gonna die here, so...doesn't matter what we tell each other. No one can really embarrass themselves anymore. Okay? " She says. I nod in response.

"Why'd you come here from the North?" She asks. "I thought things were good over here." I reply, messing with the strings on my marble bag. "And so? Were you right?" She asks. I didn't reply as an answer. "Your family, are they here with you?" She asks. "Just my brother." I replied. "Your parents?" She asks. My father got shot trying to swim across the border and drowned. Our mother...she was hiding in China and got sent back once the immigration agents found her." I answer. "Where's your brother now then?" She asks. "In a shelter." I replied. "If you win the money and get out of here, what's your plan?" She asks. "I did this to get a house where I could be with my brother first. Then I'll get our mother out of the North." I say. The whole time, I was just waiting for either 163 to be called or...hopefully not....307.