-Chapter 14: VIPS-

-

-

"Hello players. Let me welcome you all to the fifth game. The fifth game...is glass stepping stones."

"The stepping stones before you are made from one of two types of glass. One will be tempered glass, the other will be normal glass. The tempered glass is strong enough to hold the weight of two people. However, the normal glass will break even if one person steps on it. For this game, you will guess which one of the next two tiles is the tile made of the stronger tempered glass, and only step on those across the 18 pairs of tiles. You may then cross over to the other side safely and pass this game."

Number 096, the guy who got 01 speaks. "That means that the numbers...." He trails off. "Is the order in which you will cross the bridge." The guard near us answers. 096 turns to look at the guard in fear. "B-but then, how do I tell which one is tempered?" He asks. He gets no reply...which was a reply in itself. He has to guess. "For this game, you have 16 minutes. Players must cross the bridge within those 16 minutes. Now with that, let the game begin. Each player , take off your shoes, then go up to the tiles in order." 096 takes off his shoes before stepping to the edge of the platform. He seems to look between the two glass panels, unable to decide. "What are you doing? Hurry up and go!" Someone says. "We're losing time!" Another says. The arguing continues but 096 continues to just stand there. That's until 101 walks up to him. "Hey. Take a step now or I'll push your ass." He threatens. 096 nods vigorously. "I'll go. I'll go okay? I'll go. I'll go right now." He says, walking forward a little. 101 chuckles. "And please try to choose carefully, huh?"

096 takes a breath and jumps successfully onto the first glass on the left. "You did it!" Someone says. 096, feeling a little more confident, jumps onto the second one...only for it to break under him and he falls, screaming until we hear a thud. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. God. I'll never get used to how gruesome this is. I feel a hand tugging mine and open my eyes to see Sae-Byeok, looking at me with concern. I hold her hand as we watch the other players. After that guy, a lady goes but she falls soon. Then, it was a maths teacher. He seems to have calculated well because he does a running start and gets past 3 glass steps. But of course, the person behind him doesn't see well and doesn't remember which one it was. There is then a huge argument about it....in which he ends up getting wrong anyway and falling to his death.

Sang-woo jumps onto the first tile as Gi-Hun speaks to us. "There are ten tiles left and eleven people are still playing. If they all manage to step on one or two each, the four of us could get across to the end." Gi-Hun whispers. "That's not necessarily the case." Sang-woo says. "If one of those players gets scared and runs down the time, we are in danger here at the back of the line." He says. Sang-woo was number 13, Sae-Byeok was 14, I was 15 and Gi-Hun was 16. We hear commotion and turn back to see number 06....the praying guy on his knees.....oh what a surprise! PRAYING. People complain and Deok-Su threatens the guy behind him. "Oi! YOU! Would you stop praying already and go!" I shout. The guy looks back and snarls. "Oh it's you! The friend of the lost soul girl!" He says back. "You little sh-" I start at his mention of Ji-Yeong....but Sae-Byeok holds me back. "Ignore him. He's most likely going to die anyway." She whispers. I huff a breath and cross my arms like a child. "Fine"

Someone jumps into the praying guy but he spins and pushes that same guy off. The guy falls and the praying guy thanks god before jumping onto the next one and praying again. Sae-Byeok walks up to the front. It was her turn to start going on the glass. I pull her back quickly and peck the corner of her lips lightly. "Be safe please." I whisper to her. She nods and kisses my cheek back before turning and jumping onto the first tile. Having enough of his crap, 08 shoves the praying guy off into the glass to make him fall to his death. He asks 101 not to push him and he says he won't. Everyone moves two steps forward, meaning it was my turn. I jump onto the first tile and watch as Sae-Byeok jumps onto the next one, signaling it was my turn to jump onto the second tile. I do, standing where Sae-Byeok stood seconds ago.

I don't hear anyone behind me and turn to see Gi-Hun staring at the first two tiles, not moving. "It's the left." I say. "It's the left one." I repeat. "Get it together." Sae-Byeok says nervously from in front of me. Gi-Hun nods and goes onto the left tile before watching the rest of us."Thanks" He says. We keep on going, moving another two tiles forward. The guy in front claims he knew how to see the tiles before falling as well, leaving 101 to be in front. Being the selfish thug he is, he turns around instead. "Hey, everybody listen!" He shouts. "Anyone wanna get across? Well you better go first then!" He shouts. He wasn't moving and everyone knew it. Number 10 pleads, to no avail. He then threatens to push 101. Like that's going to work...

"Listen everybody! I'm not dying here for anyone. So come on, let's do this!" He shouts again. People complain again, including Sang-woo and I. "Damn it, you better go!" Someone says. After more complaining and Deok-Su's manic laughter, Mi-Nyeo steps up. "Just go!" She says, pushing number 10 at Deok-Su. As a reaction, Deok-Su flings him to the side, making him fall off the side rather than the middle. "You could have at least made him useful on the glass!" Sang-Woo shouts. Mi-Nyeo then goes on to tease Deok-Su about being a coward and an idiot. "Deok-Su, all these people dead, but the worst thing is....I let you fuck me that day in the bathroom." She says. God, I did not need to know that. "Why don't you go first to die?" He asks her. "Fine. Sure." She says. He is confused as she jumps to his tile and walks in front of him.

Suddenly, she turns around and wraps her arms around Deok-Su. "What are you doing?" He asks, panicked. "You're such an idiot. Did you really think that I'd die so you could go on?" She asks him. "Remember? We said we'd stick together right till the end." She says, grinning. She pulls him closer, edging to the side. "You betrayed me. Now you're going to die." She says. Deok-su starts begging. Something I never thought I'd see. "No, please. I'll go first, okay?" He pleads. "You coward." She says. "Deok-Su...I need you to know..." She starts. "You've got such a tiny dick." She finishes. 101's face gets red as he swears at her before she leans back and pulls him with her. The two plummet to their deaths, falling onto the glass as it breaks.

We continue on. Only the four of us and number 12. However, 12 kept on kneeling down and observing the glass. "I can tell the panels apart." He says. "I used to make glass for over 30 years." He adds. He observes the glass before jumping and landing successfully. "You can't normally tell but, if you look at tempered glass when it's lit from the side, you can see faint stain marks." He says before jumping again. "Another hint, the sound. Tempered glass is made at a heat over 700 degrees. Pound on it with a hammer and it rings clearer than normal glass." He says before jumping again. "Why didn't you say this earlier?" Gi-Hun says. "Why would I? The player up here tried to kill us at every chance." He says, looking at the glass. We were only two panels away now. He jumps and makes it onto the next one. Only one left.

Suddenly, the lights go off. "What's wrong?" Sang-woo asks. "I can't tell them apart in the dark." He says. After a moment, Sang-woo speaks up again. "Alright, which one? You need to choose." Sang-woo says. "You got anything to throw?" He asks. We all look at each other, shaking our heads. Gi-Hun then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a marble. Number 12 throws it and listens to the sound before turning back. "Do you have another one?" He asks. Gi-Hun shakes his head. "I need another one to be sure." He says. "I can't tell what it is!" He says. I look at the timer. 20 seconds left. "I'll pick, okay?" Sang-Woo says before jumping onto his tile and pushing him. He falls through with a scream before silence. Sang-woo then jumps to the other side, followed by Sae-Byeok and I. Sae-Byeok turns and helps me off the last tile by holding out her hand before doing the same for Gi-Hun. He makes it to the other side and stumbles into me a little.

A loud beep is heard from the timer before suddenly, every single glass panel explodes, sending shards of glass flying everywhere. We all turn away and close our eyes, grimacing at the sharp shards. Once it was done, We heard the speaker. "Player 218, Pass."

"Player 456, Pass"

"Player 307, Pass"

"Player 067, Pass"

______________________________________

A/N: Longer chapters apparently.

Comment what stories you want next? I've basically finished this book.

More Sae-Byeok/You? Or maybe Ho-Yeon/You?

Or another fandom?

Word Count: 1629