-Chapter 17 2.0: Sacrifice-

A/N: Photo credits to @Julshii on Instagram
-
-

After patching up Sae-Byeok, we layed in bed together. She was asleep and leaning her head on my shoulder. Gi-Hun and I were watching Sang-Woo who was watching us as well. We agreed that Sae-Byeok deserved to live. She deserves to get out and deserves her rest. She was snoring lightly, which I found adorable. The timer until the next morning was counting down slowly. 30 seconds left.

Gi-Hun and I never looked away from the snake across from us. Sang-Woo would occasionally look away, at the timer. 15 seconds left.

I hear Sae-Byeok move a little and look away to see her shift in her sleep, burying her head into my shoulder more before stopping. She's adorable. I look back up at Sang-Woo who was looking at Sae-Byeok and I. 5 seconds.

We all turn to look at the clock as it counted down. 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. A loud beep is heard and music played from the speakers. "Attention Players. It is time for breakfast." Sang-Woo stood up which made Gi-Hun stand too. I was stuck with Sae-Byeok on my shoulder, so I watched the exchange. Sang-Woo starts walking to the middle of the room, watching Gi-Hun as Gi-Hun follows slowly, keeping a fair distance from him. Sang-Woo takes his breakfast, which was a piece of bread and water before retiring to his bed. Gi-Hun had his hand on his knife in case Sang-Woo did anything. Gi-Hun then walked to the front and got all our food, bringing it back to us.

"Here." He says, handing one pack to me. I nodded my thanks and opened the packet. I started eating as Gi-Hun sat next to me, back in the position we were in before. After a few minutes, Sae-Byeok starts stirring and I see her slowly blink her eyes open and look at me.

"Hey." I say, smiling. "Hi." She says, still dazed. "Your breakfast is here." I say, handing her the bread. She takes it but doesn't eat it. She attempted to sit up but winced before leaning back on my shoulder. "It hurts, huh?" I say. She looks down at the bread, fiddling with it. "It's okay. Don't worry. We won't let anything happen to you." I say, looking at Gi-Hun who nods. Sae-Byeok smiles a little before eating slowly. I looked at Sang-Woo who had finished his food and was watching us. "Creep." I say.

"Attention Players. The final game is about to begin. Please follow staff instructions and make your way to the game hall." We stand and walk together to the 'game hall'. Sae-Byeok is walking by herself but was slightly holding her side and limping. She refused to let me help her. Sang-Woo was in front, followed by Gi-Hun, me and Sae-Byeok. We arrive at a hallway with a door at the end. The guard stops and tells us to move to the side so he could be in the middle. Gi-Hun and Sang-Woo were on one side of the hallway while Sae-Byeok and I were on the other.

The guard shows a coin. "Player 218, Player 456, Player 307 and Player 067. Welcome to the final game" the guard says. "To begin, we require two teams of equal numbers." He adds. Gi-Hun, Sae-Byeok and I look at each other. Crap. One of us has to be on Sang-Woo's team.
"I'll go with 218" Gi-Hun mutters, refusing to even say his name. "Player 218 and Player 456 are one team. Player 307 and Player 067 are on the other." The guard clarifies. "I will now flip a coin. Player 307, please pick a side." The guard says, showing a triangle side and a square side. "Triangle." I say. The guard flips it and it lands with the triangle side up. "Please choose offense or defense." The guard says. I look at Gi-Hun before sighing. "Offense"

——————————
We are led out onto a field which had a drawing on the floor. "Players. Today, you will be playing Squid Game." The guard says.  "Let me explain the rules of Squid Game. One, the attacker must enter the squid shape court, run past the defense, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with his foot to secure the win. Two, the defender must block the attacker's advance and force them outside of the court's bounds in order to win. Three, if a situation arises, in which either player is unable to continue playing the game, the last one standing will be the winner."

"A player is unable to continue. Could you please explain that?" I ask, my eyes never leaving Sang-Woo's. "That would be referring to a Player's death." He clarifies. We nod and get told to go to our positions. Sae-Byeok and I stood on the outside while Gi-Hun and Sang-Woo stood on the inside. I knelt and tied my shoes, picking up sand in the process. I walk to Sae-Byeok and whisper. "Follow my lead. When I walk across the neck of the squid, do the same. Until then, try to hop" I say, although I knew she might not be able to.

I hop to one side of the squid while Sae-Byeok kinda does the same. "Do you remember what we use to call it when we crossed?" Gi-Hun asks Sang-woo. Sang-woo rolls his eyes  "Who cares about that?" Sang-Woo asks before trying to stab at me. I throw sand at his face before walking across, passing Sae-Byeok in the middle. "Inspector Royal" Gi-Hun says. He walks around Sang-Woo as he rubs his eyes. Gi-Hun nods at me as I step into the squid.

"You really tried....to kill someone who was wounded?" I ask, walking closer. "She was dying at the time. I would have put an end to her suffering" Sang-Woo says. "That's not your choice to make." Sae-Byeok says from behind me. "You and Gi-Hun. You two are the reason I even attempted it!" Sang-Woo shouts. "You two might have ended the game just to save....Her!" He says pointing at Sae-Byeok. "So that's it? You tried to kill someone because you thought this would end?" Gi-Hun asks.It starts raining and the sky turns grey.

"You're pathetic, you know?" I say. I walk closer as Sang-Woo prepares to launch at me. "You killed Ali because you were losing. You pretended you didn't know the Dalgona challenge to ensure your safety. You pushed someone to their death so you stay alive." I say, swiping at his face. "You almost killed someone because you might leave without any money." I say before kicking him in the knee.

He stumbles and falls to the ground. He didn't have a knife. I took it. However, he stood up and threw his jacket at me before tackling me. I fell to the ground, into the sand. The rain makes it harder to get out of his grip. I see Sae-Byeok come up to us, gripping her side with one hand and her knife in the other.

She lifts it and stabs Sang-Woo in the shoulder before he knocks her back. "You bitch" he shouts. He moves to attack her but I hook my leg under his to make him fall. I take one of my knives and stab his hand as he tries to block it. We struggled like that for a while until he kicked me off. He stands and takes the knife from his shoulder and lifts it. He grabs Sae-Byeok and holds her with the knife to her neck.

"Seems familiar, no?" He says, referring to the night fight a few nights ago. I see Gi-Hun come up from behind Sang-Woo before using his jacket to pull him back. He lets go of Sae-Byeok and falls back to the ground. I walk up to him and lift my knife. "For Ali." I say before stabbing him in the neck.

Sang-Woo gasps. His hands falling to the sides as he looks up. Gi-Hun runs over, sobbing slightly. "Sang-Woo....why?" He says. Sang-Woo looks up at him "Gi-Hun. I'm sorry." He says. "Take care of my mom." Was all he said before his eyes shut and his hands stopped moving. We stood there for a while before Gi-Hun stood. We look at the guard who looks back at us. "Only one team is able to win. The other has to be eliminated." He says, "No. I'm not killing Gi-Hun." I say, I pull Sae-Byeok over to me before facing the guard. "I want to end the game."

The guard speaks into his mic as we face Gi-Hun. "But the money." He says, frowning. "It doesn't matter. I'm not killing you." I say. Sae-Byeok looked tired and struggled to stand. Gi-Hun looks at her before tearing up. "Y/N. She needs help." He says, "She needs medicine and without the money, you can't afford it." He says. I shake my head but he stops me with a hand up. "No, Y/N. Step on the head. Win." He says. I shake my head again so he sighs.

"Then....I'll do it for you." Gi-Hun takes out his knife and stabs himself in the neck. "No...Gi-Hun what are you doing?" I shout. He stumbles and falls to the floor. "My daughter....doesn't need me." He mutters. "My mother....is sick." He says. "My childhood friend is dead." He finished. "There isn't much for me....but there is a future for you." Adds. Blood starts falling out of his mouth as he breathes. "Leave this hellhole. Take care of my mother. Take care of Sae-Byeok." He says, giving me a small, bloody smile.

I nod slowly, unable to kneel because Sae-Byeok was leaning on me. Gi-Hun's eyes go lifeless. Still open, with a barely visible hint of a smile on his face. I lean down and close his eyes. Even after dying, still smiling. The guard returns and nods. "Player 307 and Player 067, win."
—————————
A/N: RIP Gi-Hun of Ssangmun-Dong.
Btw, random fact, the address I put in the other ending on the surprise guard 001 gives you is actually the address to a graveyard is Seoul. Assume that's where Sae-Byeok was buried.

Don't forget to vote!

-Reg

Word Count: 1740