-Chapter 8: Stick to the Team-

-

-

We walk down the path to the elevator. As we pass 101's group, he snarls at us and chuckles. "Damn. I was hoping to kill you guys." He says before nudging me a little. Having no handrails, Sae-Byeok immediately holds her hand out beside me to prevent me from possibly falling. "Still protecting your girlfriend?" 101 asks. Sae-Byeok glares at him. "How about you stop making things up and just go?" She says. 101 gets ushered away as we enter the elevator. Most of us accepted our defeat. The guy Gi-hun and Sang-woo brought groans "we're so dead." He says. The old man steps up and starts talking about a strategy that he used when he was a kid. "You can barely stand, how about you save your strength instead, old man?" The guy says. The old man looks down, upset. "Hey, let him speak. We don't have a plan anyway." I say.

The old man immediately starts explaining his strategy. "Okay, when I was young, we always liked Tug-of-War. It's a game I know well. And back then, I would always win, even if there was a wrestler on the other team, and it seemed the odds were stuck against us." We look at each other, not believing this.

"Listen closely, and I'll tell you how my team and I were able to win even when it seemed impossible."

"First off, having a good leader is very important. The person is at the front and keeps an eye on how the other team is performing." We all walked out from the elevator. Gi-hun steps at the front. Making eye contact with the opposing team's front leader. Knowing him, Gi-hun would do anything to save us. He trusted us. "And the rest of the team focuses on the back of their leader's head and follows their lead."

"If the leader seems weak or looks like their spirit is beginning to falter, then the game is already over. And then at the end of the rope, you'll need to have someone strong and dependable like the anchor of a ship." Ali steps up behind us, missing two fingers, but still stronger than all of us combined. His funny and excited exterior gone, all left is a super focused team member. We are all handcuffed to the rope. This is it.

"After that, it's all about how you arrange the rest of your team. If one player is on the right side of the rope, then the next one should be on the left, all the way down the rope. Both of your feet should be facing straight forward, and then, hold the rope in your armpits. That way, everyone can put in all of their strength." We line up, one on the right and the other on the left. Gi-Hun in front, then Sang-woo. I was behind him and behind me was Sae-Byeok. After that, we had the other guy, 240 and 163. Behind 163 was the crazy lady and the old man, finished with Ali. We all tucked the rope under our armpits, making sure we had a firm hold.

"Finally, and this is absolutely the most important thing. Once the game begins, for the first ten seconds...you have to hold your ground. You should lean back, practically lie down. Push your lower abdomen up to the sky, as hard as you can...and throw your head back to the point where you can almost see the groin of the person behind you." The starting gun goes off and our team all lie down. We lean back and my head basically rests on Sae-Byeok's knee. We pull, as hard as we can. Not letting go. You can hear our staining voices as we do it while we listen to the opposing team struggle.

"If you do that, the other team won't be able to pull us to their side. Just hold like this for ten seconds. Then the opposing team will start to get frustrated because they are thinking, "Why won't they budge?" because they believed that they were much stronger. If you can hold out for that long, you will be able to catch a moment in your opponents' hold, and their rhythm breaks." Suddenly, the front man in the opposing team seems to slip. I hear shouting from the other side before I hear the loud shout of our team's leader.

"Now's our chance!" Gi-hun shouts. Almost immediately, we all stand properly and start pulling in a rhythm. Pull, pull, pull, pull. We went back and pulled towards our side as much as we could...and it was working.

That's until the other team recovers and starts pulling us back to their side. Slowly, we're all being dragged towards the edge of our platform, still handcuffed to the rope. "We're losing, goddammit. Do something!" I hear the crazy lady shout. I watch Gi-hun. Something clicking into place. "Get yourselves together and listen up!" I shout. "Let's try something! On my signal, take three steps forward." I say. "Up? Now? But that's the edge!" She shouts back. "She's right! They'll fall and we will be able to pull them back up." Sang-woo shouts. "There's no way I'll do that!" She shouts back. "We might as well try!" Sae-Byeok shouts. "Okay! On your signal, Y/N!" Gi-hun shouts.

"No way! I can't do it!" The crazy lady shouts again. "Move up or you'll die!" Sae-Byeok shouts again. "On the count of three!" I shout. "One!" I say. Gi-hun edging closer to the edge. "Two!" The rest of the team, struggling to keep a firm grip. "Three!"

A/N: Shorter chapter. Sorry.

Word Count: 924