-Chapter 9: 240 and 163-

-
-
"No way! I can't do it!" The crazy lady shouted. "Move up or you'll die!" Sae-Byeok shouts. "On the count of three!" I shout. God, what the hell were we doing?

"One!" Our group is getting closer to the edge. "Two!" We're all straining, holding our ground as much as we can at this point. Everyone was shouting and struggling. "Three!"
We all took a few steps forward which left Gi-hun dangling off the edge by one foot. "Pull!" Sang-woo shouted. We all heaved the rope back to our side and I could see that the other team had all fallen down. We pulled in a rhythm again and I could hear the other team panicking. "Pull more you idiots!" The leader shouts. We continue pulling until finally, the other team tumbles over the edge and hands from the rope.

Suddenly, we get tugged forward too. The rope hasn't been cut yet and the weight of the other team was not pulling us down too. We all tried to pull back, but it was no use. We were slowly getting dragged towards the edge of the platform. "Crap. CRAP!" I shout as the hanging team becomes visible to me. Suddenly, the knife comes down and the rope gets cut. We all tumble back and fall onto the floor. Panting like crazy. We were all just lying there. I could feel Sae-Byeok's hand patting my head as we lay there.

Back in the elevator, the guy Gi-hun brought was praying. Otherwise, the elevator was silent. "Hey, dude." 240 says. "Who do you think you're praying to, huh? To god?" She asks. "You think you made it out of there because of god, don't you?" She asks again. The man looks up at her, angry. "The reason you're still breathing and thanking that nice god of yours is that old man." She says, pointing at 001. "And 307 who came up with that awesome last minute trick." The man continues to glare at her but she isn't bothered. "You know, if there's anyone you should be thanking, it's them. Not god." She finishes. I flash her a small smile and she does it back.

"You sad lost soul...." The man says. "What would you say to all those who were nailed to a cross for our salvation today?" He asks her. "They sacrificed themselves for us. We are here, thanks to their blood." He continues. I sigh and rub my head. This is ridiculous. "Bullshit. You killed those guys out there." She says again. Immediately, the guy starts praying again. "If we say some prayers, do we all get to go to heaven?" She asks. "I should really pray too, if that's how easy it is." She finishes before praying and mocking him. I grab her hand to stop her from annoying anyone further until Sae-Byeok speaks. "Be quiet." Everyone stops and we all look at her. "Her? Or that guy." I ask. Sae-Byeok looks me in the eye. "Everyone." As she said, the rest of the ride was silent. The door opens and we walk out onto the platform without railings. "What's your name, huh?" 240 asks. "Why?" I ask. "So I can call you by your name, duh."  I chuckle and answer, "Y/N." I say. "And you?" 163 asks Sae-Byeok. "Do me a favour and leave me alone." She replies before walking away. 240 and 163 look at each other before looking back at me. "I'm Ji-Yeong." She says. "And I'm Seo-Jun." 163 says. I grin and nod as we get led to the bunk room.

As we walked in, 101's team looked at us in shock. They didn't expect us to win against an all men team, did they. 212 smiles and waves. "Deok-su, darling. Great to see you." She says. We walked to a corner and sat down together. I sat next to Sae-Byeok but she turned and listened to Ji-yeong who tried to speak to her. Huh. I turn to Seo-Jun and she smiles at me. "How'd you get here?" I ask. She shugs and looks down. "Well, I haven't had the best life." She says. "My parents died when I was little and I took care of my little sister." She says. "My sister....died 5 years ago in an accident." She says. "I got here because I couldn't earn enough money to support myself...so I stopped trying." She finishes. The other teams filed in and soon, it was time to eat.

We all got corn and a bottle of water. 212 stood up and started speaking. "You know what? I really thought we were going to die out there...and as soon as we were all leaning back, I felt so powerful." She says as she mimics our stance earlier. "Like, whoa, this works? This is real? Hey, old man. How did you know that?" She asks. The old man speaks but gets cut off by 212 again. "Oh, you copied that one thing. From the movie where the guy dodges bullets like this." She says before leaning back and waving her arms. "Matrix!" Ali shouts, excited. 212 stops and looks at him. "Hey, when you got to Korea, is all you did watch movies?" She asks him. He immediately stopped and looked down, hurt. How dare she? Who the hell would attack Ali? She then turns to me and smiles. "And our power player. 'Everyone, take three steps forward when I signal!'." She says, pretending to be me. I roll my eyes and I see Seo-Jun chuckle at my reaction. "Oh my god, I can't believe how cool that was!" She says. "How did you come up with that under all that pressure?" She asks.

"Earlier, you were the one who said no." Ali butts in. "Oh yeah? Is that what you heard?" She asks again. Ali nods "You cried and said 'but that's the edge! There's no way I'll go!' Like that." He adds. I stifle my laughter at his imitation. "Hey you. You got a Visa? I bet you don't. You're an illegal alien." She counters. I stand up and stand in front of Ali. "Hey now, no need for that." I say. "How about it? Why keep the strange foreigner when we can just ditch him?" She says. "Our team is more secure that way." She adds. "Who's the captain here? Is it you? 307?" She asks, sizing up to me. I looked down at her and shook my head. "There is no captain. Everyone is equal here." I reply, sitting back down. "Plus. Ali was the anchor of our team. Without him, one tug and we'd all probably be gone." I add. 212 nods slowly and chuckles. "Alright. Sure. I like it. Building an egalitarian society!" She exclaims. "Quite a change from that asshole." She says, pointing at Deok-su, 101.

"About that, grandma. Why'd you get kicked out?" Gi-hun asks. "Grandma? Don't you dare call me that!" 212 shouts. "Here. Han Mi-Nyeo. Got it? Mi-nyeo. That's my name." She says. "And I didn't get out, I made the decision to go." She adds, crossing her arms. I rub my head again. This girl's voice is getting on my nerves. "They only got rid of you, then wound up with all male players." Sang-woo notes. I lift my head and nod. "Right before the game too. It was as if they knew what it was." I add. He nods and we look at each other. There was a beep and the speaker spoke again. "Players, lights out will begin in 30 minutes." It said before the timer started counting down. "Another fight could break out. We need a plan." Sang-woo says. "What can we do, huh?" The praying guy says. "We have 5 girls and an old man. We're the weakest team by far." He adds. "We should choose a weak team and attack first."

"For our resident priest, you sure are bloodthirsty." Ji-yeong says. "All our hands are bloody anyway." He replies. "Attacking is the best option. We should go with that." Gi-hun says. "Last night, when the fight broke out, the man in front of me got killed." Sae-Byeok suddenly says. "Someone he thought was on his side broke his neck." She adds. "Do you trust me then?" She asks before looking away from me. "Cause I don't trust one person here." She finishes. I look away and frown. She didn't trust me anymore? "Alright. But we should still do something. Let's create a barricade."

A/N: Hope you guys are enjoying the story. Im getting really invested in my characters....I hope it doesn't feel too slow and detailed?

Also, do you guys want a happy or sad ending? Or both?

Word count: 1443