Chapter One

I'm starting my fifth year at Hogwarts and I'm really nervous. I have to get ready then my sister is going to take me to the platform thing.

Up until now I've went to Illvermony in the U.S. We moved earlier this summer. My mom and dad were unhappy in America and they thought I would get a better education at Hogwarts.

I didn't want to move. I wanted to stay where I was. I lived in a middle class town in Tennessee so a few of my friends had thick southern accents that I also picked up on, but not as bad. I didn't have a ton of friends but I was really close with my cousins Jace and Freya. Now I have to make new friends.

Making new friends wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't so shy. I don't want to be but every time I want to talk to someone new I chicken out because I'm afraid. The only reason I had friends other than my cousins was because I shared a dorm with them. I only had a few girl friends at Illvermony. I'm to scared to talk to a guy unless they talk to me first.

My mom is constantly on me about it too. She always tells me I need to get a boyfriend soon or I'm going to be alone forever because my looks won't last. The only person who really gets it is my older sister.

My older sister, Lauren is in her mid twenties and graduated from school several years ago. She almost stayed in America but she moved because she found a job here. I'm so happy she moved because she is the only person in my family I can talk to. My parents are good parents but I just don't get along with them very well.

My dad works a lot and my mom wants me to be perfect. She wants me to be pretty, athletic, smart, and popular. Sadly out of all those things the only thing I am is smart. I guess I'm sort of pretty but I just don't have very much self confidence.

I constantly feel like I'm never going to be enough for her. This year I plan to change that though. I'm going to get perfect grades, make some friends, and actually do something that she can be proud of me for. I'm not exactly sure what that will be yet, but I'll figure it out.

I have to finish getting ready so we can leave. I force myself out of my chair and over to my closet. I dig around and pull out a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized shirt. I throw that on and put my hair in a messy bun. I'm ready to go.

I grab my luggage and drag it out to the front door. My mom is sitting in the kitchen reading some papers and my dad has probably already left for work. My mom is a muggle and my dad is a wizard, so I'm a halfblood. It doesn't bother me though.

I don't feel like talking to my mom because we had an argument yesterday, but I know I should at least tell her bye.

I walk into the kitchen and go over to the fridge and pretend like I'm looking for something.

"Uhh Lauren will be getting here soon to take me to school." I mumble.

"Okay, be good and you know what we expect. Perfect grades and good behavior. Write us if you need anything." She says not looking up.

I head back out of the kitchen and wait in the living room. It's only a few minutes later when my sister appears in the fireplace. She comes and gives me a hug because I haven't seen her in a few days.

"Do you have all your stuff?" She asks and I nod.

"Good now when do you have to be there?"

"Uhhh like 11:00 I think." I say in reply.

"Okay good we have half and hour before we have to leave then. We are going to need it to get you ready because you need to at least look kinda cute for your first day of school."

I groan and follow her because I know I'm not getting out of this. She isn't doing this to be annoying or overbearing. She does this because I won't do it myself. I try to be unnoticeable and she steps in to make me noticeable. I don't like when she does it but she is just looking out for me because I won't. I tend to let people walk all over me and she hates it. We walk into the room and she heads straight to my closet.