Chapter Sixteen

Of course the universe feels the need to prove to me that things can get worse.

By that I mean that as soon as I walk into the Great Hall for breakfast the boys call me over. Several people look over at me and I have no choice but to sit by them like I do everyday.
I scan the room for Evan but I don't see him. Maybe he won't show up.

I walk over and take my usual seat beside Remus. I refuse to look up because then the boys will see my swollen nose. I'm also afraid Evan will walk in and see me.

"Is something wrong Ella?" I hear Sirius ask.

I look up instinctively when I hear my name. I immediately realize my mistake when James and Sirius gasp. Remus and Peter have about the same reaction when they look over at me.

"Who hit you?" Peter asks.

I can feel the fear rising in my chest but I try my best to speak without my voice shaking.

"I fell on the stairs." I lie.

Remus grabs my jaw in his hand and examines my nose closely. He shakes his head and lets me go.

"You didn't fall Ella." He says angrily.

They are getting sick of my lies. I'm sure they won't put up with me much longer but maybe that's for the best.

"Look El, you can tell-" James starts to say but he stops when he sees something behind me.

I turn around and right there is Evan. I try to stand up to run but he grabs a fist full of my hair.

"I told you not to be around them! You really think it's funny to ignore what I tell you! This is it. You're done with school here and if you try to fight me I promise you your family will pay." He says the last two sentences only loud enough for me and the boys to hear.

"Get your hands off of her!" James yells starting to come over the table. Sirius starts to join him but Evan yanks me up by my hair and puts me in a headlock. He grabs his wand and puts to to my head.

"One more step and I will crucio her!" He yells.

It's like the entire hall freezes. Everyone heard him. Silent tears stream down my face and I'm half hoping someone saves me but I'm also hoping they don't. I don't want him to hurt anyone else.

"Let her go!" Someone screams and then Evan and I both topple backwards.

I'm shoved out of the way and Sirius comes and yanks me up off the floor. I look down and Remus has Evan pinned to the door pounding punches into him.

Evan makes attempts to fight back but it doesn't help him much. A few people from the Slytherin table start to come over but stop when Dumbledor yells.

"Everyone stop. Next person to move will risk expulsion.

That stops everyone but Remus. He continues to pound into Evan until James and Sirius pull him off. Remus's fist is covered in blood and he still looks mad.

"When we say hands off we mean it!" He yells to the boy on the floor.

I shrink back and Sirius wraps me in his arms.

"Slughorn get your student to the hospital wing! You five get to my office!" McGonnagal yells.

Remus turns away and cracks his bloody hand. I think he is going to just walk away but he turns back towards Evan and spits at him.

"You and your friends better leaver her and her family alone."

James reaches out and grabs Remus and drags him to the office with us. Sirius doesn't let me go the entire way to the office. I cry the entire time and Remus still looks livid. I never knew someone so quiet and reserved could have such a temper. He's risking expulsion right now and it's mostly my fault.