Chapter Fifty One

I tiredly make my way back into the school. It's crazy how just a few years ago we were still kids running these same halls that people are now dying in. When I finally get to safety I have to do my best not to collapse with grief and exhaustion. I find my group of people and give Lily, Peter, and Sirius hugs before they have to go out in the next wave.

I sigh and sit down on the ground holding my head in my hands. My body is already exhausted and this is far from over. Remus sits beside me and wraps his arm around me, "They sent someone to go check on Marlene." he says gently.

He doesn't even have to finish. I know he is about to tell me she is dead.

"Her family was attacked. There weren't any survivors."

I just nod in reply. I don't think I have the energy to cry. I look up and make sure Freya isn't around before turning and breaking the news to Remus, "Finn was the rat. He turned on us and he killed Jace." Before I even get the sentence out I have tears falling down my face. I can't bring myself to tell him that I killed Finn.

He wraps me in his arms and holds me close to his chest. How many more people are we going to lose? Remus and I have argued countless times over joining or not joining the Order. In the end we aren't even the ones dead...so far.

I eventually pull away from Remus and get to my feet. We need to help get people to the healers. I pull my sore body up from the ground and start levitating or dragging people to the healers. It's obvious we don't have enough of them.

Our numbers keep dwindling and I have no idea how we're going to make it. This is absolute madness.

"Have you seen Jace?" Lauren asks jogging over.

I don't want to answer her, I don't want to tell her that he died standing right beside me. Thankfully Remus saves me from having to. He gently lays a hand on my shoulder before explaining to her, "One of them got to him while he and Ella were out. He didn't make it."

You can see her heart shatter, but she only lets it show for a moment before going expressionless, "Alright, keep an eye on Freya for me please."

We both nod as she walks away. Remus leans down and gently kisses the top of my head, "Everything will be alright love, it is hard now but we just have to get through it."

I nod but don't respond. They're calling my wave to go back in. The other wave hasn't came back so our numbers must really be dwindling. I quickly kiss Remus and head back over. This time I'm walking out beside James.

When we make it out it's clear all reason has been thrown straight out the window. Screams fill the air and the entire place is filled with the metallic scent of blood.

"Sirius is still out here somewhere!" James yells to me over the noise of yells and screams. "I nod understanding that he is saying we need to find him.

We try our best to stick together but it's not long until we lose each other in the chaos. My body is screaming for me to take a break but I can't. I continue to push forward and take down as many people from the opposing side as possible. Suddenly Matthew is beside me in the chaos.

I glance over at him for only a second but it turns out to be a potentially fatal mistake. I hit the ground back first and get the wind knocked out of me. I lay there trying to figure out how to breath again and I frantically feel around for my wand.

It only takes seconds for the panic to set in. I'm down in the middle of a battlefield. I'm practically drowning in the mud and blood that covers the ground in a thick sludge. Peoples boots are raining down all around me and I still can't find the right breathing pattern. I look around frantically hoping someone will help but there's no luck. I attempt to stand but it's not happening.