Chapter Fourty Nine

So much can change in a week. So so much. I thought things were going great but now...not so much.

It's crazy how a week ago we were celebrating Rem's birthday and spending the day with friends that we love and care about. Today we are sitting in our flat with all the doors and windows locked and all the blinds drawn. Remus and I sit on our couch reading a letter we received from Matthew and wondering how the hell we ended up here.

The day after the party James and Lily both Clair called into the Order. Apparently Voldemort got ahold of some prophecy that says Harry will be a threat to him in the future. I don't know how or why but Voldemort believes it is true and now our friends and their son are in danger.

They immediately went into hiding when they found out and they made Sirius their secret keeper. He is the obvious choice and we can only hope that they don't come for him trying to get their location.

Not only is James and Lily in hiding but Marlene decided to go spend some time with her family for a bit. Her and Sirius are taking a "break" as he calls it. Sirius has been spending a lot of time hanging out at our place and staying at his house. He refuses to go on missions because he is afraid of being captured and forced to give away where Lily and James are hiding.

The next thing that happened was the worse. On Thursday morning we got a call from Matthew breaking the news to us. Alice and Frank finally made it back from their mission—well more like they were rescued from their mission. They had both been captured and been suffering extensive torture. They're currently staying at St. Mugos. They said that they were tortured to the point of losing their minds. They're never going to be the same and now Neville will have to grow up without parents.

On Thursday morning we got a call from Freya explaining that her and Regulus are going into hiding for good. Regulus pulled himself from the Order and they're already gone. Lauren is their secret keeper.

All this happened in one week. Now it is up to Remus and I to figure out what we want to do. We don't want to go into hiding but it may be for the best. As of right now we are trying to stay out of hiding because it's just too much at the moment. We can't be stuck in this house with everything going on.

"What do you want to do?" I ask Remus.

He shrugs and reads over the letter again. No matter how many times we read it, it's still going to contain the same news. They're not making good progress on destroying the horcruxes. They can locate them but it is difficult to get ahold of them and destroy them.

It's even harder with their new loss of man power. Regulus, James, Lily, and Sirius are all out from missions.

"I don't want you to go on missions...I don't want to go on missions either." He says plainly.

"We can go into hiding." I suggest again.

He shakes his head, "I don't want to put our lives on hold. I want us to be able to live still."

"We'll be living in constant fear." I remind him.

He looks up and meets my eyes, "We will live in fear even if we go into hiding. We can't escape it."

He's not wrong. There isn't a right or wrong decision.

I swallow thickly, "Let's stay out of hiding for now and if there is any sort of threat towards us then we go into hiding."

He nods grimly, "That makes the most sense."

I sigh and lean into him for a hug. He holds me right and a few tears fall from my eyes, "I can't believe we lost Alice and Frank."

He rubs my head gently, "I know, but we still have each other, and many more friends that are still here. We can only make sure they are remembered as great people and maxing fighters. We can go visit them when things die down a bit."

I wrap my arms around him and hold him as tight as I can. How many people will we lose before this all ends? The biggest question is...will I lose Remus?

"Let's get some snacks, then we will go lay down and I'll read to you." He suggests.

I nod but don't let go of him. He sighs loudly and gets up with me still clinging to him. I have my arms around his neck my my legs wrapped around his waist. He places his hand on my butt to hold me up and walks us over to the fridge.

"Ummm, chocolate milk and cheesecake?" He asks. I take it those are the only snacks we have.

"Don't forget to grab some forks." I mumble into his shoulder.

"Right." He mumbles.

We shuffle over and I hear him grab the forks. Next we shuffle down the hall to our bedroom. When we get there he drops me down onto the bed and sets out food on his night table.

I strip down to a t-shirt and underwear before crawling under the covers. He grabs a book and does the same.

"Give me too snacks." I boss. He does as I say. I take a drink of the milk straight from the jug then pass it to him. He shrugs and takes a drink too.

He leans back against the headboard and opens the book.

"You better be planning to share that cheesecake." He says.

I just look down and avoid his eyes, I don't like sharing.

He leans over and kisses my jaw gently, "I love you, I promise things will get better." He mumbles against my skin.

"I love you too.....do I have to share?"

"Yes, love, you have to share."