14. Newborn Parents

Shivaay was sleeping next to his daughter's cradle, just next to Anika's bed. Her breath sounds and the soft rhythmic sounds of her heart monitor proved to the perfect lullaby for the father and daughter alike. Anika had been stable, had no complications and was sound asleep. When Shivaay reached the room, the doctor informed him of the same, adding that Anika, who was terrified of needles, was so tired that she fell asleep as her blood was being drawn. Shivaay kept stroking her hair until his daughter was brought in. She was bathed and wrapped in a swaddle blanket, sleeping soundly. The paediatrician, Dr Alia Kaushal informed him that their baby was healthy and vaccinations were administered. The doctor added that the baby might be cranky or develop a low grade fever, there was nothing to worry about and a nurse would always be outside if they needed any help. She also advised Shivaay to get some rest. 'Babies are tiny packets of energy and it's all the more fulfilling when you can match theirs' Dr Alia had told him. And so, the family was sound asleep in the comforts of the VIP suite of the hospital.

Shivaay immediately woke when he sensed his daughter making some movements. He looked in the cradle saw her making a grimace, indicating she was about to cry. Shivaay immediately picked her in his arms and rocked her gently.

Shivaay: *whispering to his daughter* Hey sweetheart, please, please don't cry. We don't want to wake up Mumma, do we? Mumma needs to sleep because she's tired. Mumma was bringing you to us. Mumma was so brave and strong for you. So please don't cry. Do that for Mumma, Papa is requesting you.

Shivaay continued to rock her and spin around the room when he saw Anika looking at them. ...Anika was looking at them?! Shivaay looked towards her with surprised and Anika chuckled lightly at his expression.

Shivaay: Tum...tum k...kab uthi?
(You...when d...did you wake up?)

Anika: Bas jab aap meri humari beti se meri tareef kar rahe the.
(Just when you were singing my praises to my daughter.)

Shivaay lowered his eyes in embarrassment. At least he got his daughter to calm down. He looked back up and Anika made grabby hands towards him. Even after having a baby of her own, she was a baby! Shivaay began to put their daughter down in her cradle but Anika stopped him.

Anika: Le ke aayiye.
(Bring her here.)

Shivaay: *obediently* Yes your highness.

Shivaay took their daughter and placed her in Anika's arms. Anika immediately cooed and smiled, which Shivaay smile as well. He kissed her forehead, which had become an integral part of his morning routine.

Shivaay: Slept well?

Anika: *nods* Time kya ho raha hain? Mujhe lagta hain main zyaada so gayi.
(What's the time? I feel like I slept too much.)

Shivaay: As you should. Giving birth isn't cakewalk.

Anika: *confused* Cake? Aapne cake mangwaya hain?
(Cake? Have you ordered cake?)

Shivaay: What? Oh, no, not that cake. Cakewalk is an expression, yeh kehne ke liye ki... koi kaam bahit asaan hain. Mere kehne ka matlab tha janam dena koi asaan kaam nahi hain toh tumhe zyaada sona chahiye.
(What? Oh, no, not that cake. Cakewalk is an expression, to say that... something that is very easy to do. What I meant was giving birth is not easy so you should sleep more.)

Anika nodded in understanding. She looked Shivaay then at her daughter and started laughing. Shivaay raised his eyebrows, asking what happened.

Anika: Jaise aap humari beti se baat karte hain, woh kya farraatedaar English bolegi. Ekdum aapki tarah, jis mein se aadhi baatein mere sar ke upar se jaati hain.
(The way you speak with our daughter, she's going to be so fluent in English. Just like you, and most of it will go over my head)