22. Past Resurfaced

Requested by 104shivika
Illustration by  104shivika

Gauri was sitting on the swing in the garden with her fashion sketchbook when Anika came there.

Anika: Kya kar rahi ho Chutki?
(What are you doing Chutki?)

Gauri: Inspiration dhoondh rahe hain.
(Looking for inspiration.)

Anika: Matlab?
(As in?)

Gauri: Matlab ki hume kaam par ek por...port... ka tha? ...Haan! Portfolio tayyaar karna hain.
(As in I have to prepare a por...port... what was it? Yes! Portfolio!)

Anika: ...Wahi jo tu ne kaha!
(...Exactly what you said!)

Gauri: 3 mahine mein nayi fashion line launch hone wali hain. Rudy bhaiya ne sab designers ko kaam pe laga diya hain aur hume toh yahaan inspiration bhi nahi mil rahi. 
(A new fashion is going to be launched in 3 months. Rudy bhaiya has put all  fashion designers to work and I can't even find inspiration here.)

Anika: Oh bete ki! Tu toh Om ki chalti-phirti inspiration hain aur tujhe hi inspiration nahi mil rahi?
(Oh my my! You are Om's walking-talking inspiration and you can't find inspiration?)

Gauri: Kyoonki jab barsaat hoti hain, *dramatically* Omkaraji ko kala soojti hain. Aur humein? *huffs* Chhat na tapak rahi ho, yeh soojta hain.
(Because when it rains, Omkara thinks of creating art. And I? I think about the ceiling should not be leaking.)

Anika: *laughing* Tu sahi maayine mein meri behen hain. Achha chal, tere liye inspiration dhoondhte hain. 
(You are indeed my sister. Now let's go and find inspiration for you.)

Anika grabbed Gauri's hand and took her towards the dressing room of Oberoi Mansion. She turned the lights on and toom tye covers off a few racks.

Anika: Oberoi Family ke itne functions hote hain ki poori Mumbai kapde pehen sakti hain. Dekh, shayad in purane kapdo mein kuch naya mil jaaye.
(Oberoi family has so many functions that the entire population of Mumbai can get clothes. Look around, maybe we'll find something new in these old clothes.)

From the floral pink, golden and white outfits from ShiTia's Sangeet to the whites with colourful Bandhani prints from the Holi Party, all were stashed in their. Anika also filled in Gauri about the various instances from those events. 

While Anika went through clothes in the front, Gauri wen towards the back, where the heavier outfits were kept. There was Obros' sherwani, wedding lehengas and even Pinky and Jahnvi's bridal wear. Each was gorgeous and exquisite. Her eyes then fell on one box that was tucked away. She opened it it and it revealed a beautiful red brocade lehenga and matching dupatta. It looked regal and elegant. Gauri wondered whose it was.

Gauri: Jiji, ee saadi ka joda kiska hain?
(Jiji, whose wedding dress is this?)

Anika froze seeing the very familiar lehenga. It was from Shivaay and her first marriage. The forced marriage. 

Unaware of the turmoil going through her sisters head, Gauri was enchanted by the beauty of the lehenga. 

Gauri: Kitni sunadr kaarigari hain ispe. Rang bhi kitna pyaara hain, ekdum kisi raaj-gharane ki bahu ka joda lagta hain. Aur ee dupatta bhi, kitna sudar hain. Aap par daal ke dekhein kaisa lagta hain?
(The work on it is so beautiful. The colour is also lovely, looks it the wedding dress of a royal family's bride. And this scarf, it's beautiful. Can I put it on and see how it looks?)

Gauri opened the dupatta and draped it over Anika's head. The moment the fabric touched her head, flashes of that day flashed before Anika's eyes. 

"Galti tumne ki hain aur harjana bhi tum hi bhugtogi. Ab madap mein Tia ke jode mein tum mere saath baithogi...... Mere naam ka mangalsutra pehenogi, mere naam ka sindoor daalogi, meri biwi banogi par...sir ek din ke liye...... Sahil safe hain, likin sirf tab tak jab tak main chaahoon......Shaadi karo!"
("You made the mistake and you will bear the consequences. Now you will sit with me in mandap wearing Tia's wedding dress... You will wear mangalsutra in my name, you will put vermilion in my name, you will become my wife but... Just for one day...... Sahil is safe, but only till the time I want... Marry me!"