11. Piece of Peace

Anika waddled out of her room into living room with one hand supporting her back and the other on her 9 months pregnant belly. She was barely out of the door when the baby kicked. Anika stopped and scrunched her eyes shut. She was near her due date and every kick came with what her doctor described as "mild pre-birth contractions" but if these were mild, Anika feared what actual labour would feel like. Brushing that thought aside, Anika continued to take steps forward but clearly her baby didn't like that idea and kicked her hard. Anika bent forward and clutched the backrest of a sofa with one hand, the other still holding her belly.

Anika: Ah! Bacche kya kar rahe ho? 3 ghanta baith ke movie dekhi na. Abhi chalne do.
(Ah! Baby, what are you doing? We just sat for 3 hours while watching a movie, right? Now let me walk.)

Her kid was in no mood listen abd continued to kick her. Anika winced but manged to a couple more steps to the front of the sofa and sank in it. After adjusting into a comfortable position, she rubbed her baby and squinted her eyes.

Anika: Kya tadibaaz ho yaar! Aise nahi toh taise apni baat manwana aata hain tumhe woh bhi abhi se.
(What an attitude you have! You know how to have things your way that too from now itself.)

Anika shook her her head and rested in on the backrest while continuing to caress her baby bump to keep the baby calm.
Gauri came to the hall and saw Anika sitting on the couch, she looked slightly troubled with her eyes closed and lips pouted.

Gauri: *calls out* Jiji?
(Sister?)

Anika opened her eyes and Gauri say besides her.

Gauri: Ka hua? Aap paresaan kyoon hain?
(What happened? Why are you worried?)

Anika: Main bas thoda chalne ke liye kamre se baahar nikli likin tumhara bhanje ya bhanji ko pasand nahi aaya aur mujhe zor ki laatein maari.
(I just came out of the room was a stroll but your nephew or niece didn't like it and kicked me hard.)

Gauri: Arey! Aise kaise humari jiji ko laat maari? *keeps her hand on Anika's belly* Arey oh Chhutke, tum kaahe apni maa ko yoon paresaan kar rahe ho? Baithe-baithe thak jaati hain, thoda ghoomne diya karo. Aise laat nahi maari.
(Hey! How dare it kick my sister? Oh Tiny, why are you troubling your mother like this? She gets tired sitting all day, let her walk around. You shouldn't kick her like this.)

At Gauri's words, the baby began kicking again. Anika laughed as Gauri's face fell with a look of betrayal.

Gauri: Jiji, aapka chhutka toh aapki chhutki ki bhi nahi sun raha.
(Jiji, your little one isn't even listening to your little sister.)

At that moment, Bhavya returned from work and entered the hall. Gauri went up to her and pulled her towards Anika.

Gauri: Sahi samay par aayi ho Bhavya. Jiji ka baccha unhe laat maar ke paresaan kar raha hain, ab tumhi ise samjhao.
(You came at the right time Bhavya. Sister's kid is troubling her by kicking, you only talk to it.)

Bhavya: *flustered* Bhabhi hum kya bolein?
(Bhabhi, what do I say?)

Anika: Kuch bhi bolo likin ise shaant karwao.
(Say anything but make it calm down.)

Bhavya didn't know the 'b' baby-talk so she spoke the only language she knew.

Bhavya: *commands* Baby... Attention!

Anika sat up straight and looked at Bhavya with wide eyes.

Anika: ...Ruk gaya.
(...It stopped.)

Gauri: Sacchi?!
(Really?!)

Anika nodded. Bhavya herself was shocked that it actually worked.