Chapter 11: In With The Old

After a month of living in New York, I started to feel a little better. I hang out with May and Peter every Sunday for dinner, and I see Peter every day at school. We became great friends and my life has finally started to settle. However, that doesn't mean I never forgot. The anxiety have I built up caused me to barely leave my new apartment, except for school and hanging with May. Whenever there is a knock on my door, fear floods through me. I have cameras installed everywhere through my house. Like I said, I will never forget. Right now I am riding the bus to school, and listening to the news on my phone. I hate how the government thought it was a good idea to cut off Gotham news from others, to not cause panic. But that means I don't know what's going on over there. A muffled voice broke me out of my concentration, watching the weather for the week, and I looked up to see my stop. Pushing through the crowd and getting off, I walk the rest of the way to school. It kind of sucks that I have to go through high school again, but it's for my own safety. Walking in, I'm surrounded by the sounds of students coming back from the weekend. I push and shove through everyone to get to my locker, keeping my head down to not gain attention. I'm taller than a couple of seniors because of my actual age, but I luckily have a babyface, so I blend in. Finally making it to my locker, I see Peter standing next to it with Ned.

     "Hey Jane, how was the rest of your weekend?" Peter said enthusiastically, noticing me. I smiled slightly and walked to them.

     "It was good, I just sat at home really. How about yours?" I asked

     "Well, I had the stark internship yesterday, which was great to have Monday off because Ned came with me to visit. Speaking of, do you want to come over for dinner at the tower tonight?" Peter asked. I shrugged, not answering like always.

     "C'mon Jane, just this once. I can help you with your homework." He bribes and I think about it.

     "I'll tell you my answer at lunch, I'm gonna be late for class." I answer, hearing his huff when I grab my stuff.

     "Fine, but I hope it's a yes. We are having lasagna!" He shouts at me as I walk away. Classes were as always uneventful and boring, so I was excited when the lunch bell rang. Making my way to the lunchroom and grabbing my tray, I finally sit, seeing Peter staring at me expectantly while Ned seems to be working on homework.

     "So?" He asks

     "So what?"

     "You know what Jane. What's your answer?" He asks hopefully. I think hard about it, wondering what to do.

     "I don't know, I really don't want to walk home in the dark since you usually stay the nights Tuesday." I mumble out, picking at the mac and cheese in front of me.

     "I will make sure we are done before then. If not, you could always stay the night." He says, still staring. I let his answer roll around my head and think about what else could happen. I finally give up with a huff.

     "...Fine. I'll go." I finally answer, hoping I don't regret this.

     "Great! Happy is picking me up from school, so he can take us both there." He answers. I block out his rambles and continue eating, until a hand slams down beside me, causing a small scream to leave me. I look up to see Flash sneering down at me. Ever since the first day, when I yelped in class when he grabbed my hair, he loves to scare me.

     "Well, well. Penis Parker, Star Wars, and Scaredy Cat. What are you nerds doing?" He said, grabbing Ned's homework out of his hand.

     "Hey! Give it back Flash!" Ned shouts angrily.

     "Or what. Ya gonna kill me with a lightsaber?" Flash teases, throwing the homework to the ground.

     "What about you scaredy-cat? Go to any haunted mazes lately?" He asks rudely, wiggling his fingers like a ghost.