Chapter 19: Consequences

I look around, trying to figure a way out of this, but before I get too far Gordon shoots forward, grabbing my arm. I jolt back in shock and struggle to get away. His family is watching in shock as well as a couple of people around us. Looking around at the crowd I wince.   

     "Gordon, please." I hiss out, trying to tug away, but he just holds on tighter.

     "What are you doing here? I haven't heard anything from you or the people you were with. What's going on?" He says, his voice rising. I wince again as I feel terror crawl down my spine.

      "Stop Gordon, please let me go. I can't tell you." I plead, watching as a crowd forms around us.

    "Alex, can we talk? Should I call someone?" He questions in panic. I look around the crowd and back to him desperately.

     "Gordon, not here." I hiss out, hoping he understands. Luckily, his eyes widened before lets me go and backed up a step. I quickly put my hands around myself and looked around in panic.

     "C-can we go talk somewhere else at least," I whisper out. He nods quickly and puts an arm out, letting me walk ahead of him. I push past the now dissipating crowd, watching him say a couple of words to his family before following after me. I led him to a place behind the escalators, away from the crowds. Turning to him, I let out a deep breath and hoped that this didn't go bad.

     "So, Alex. You need to explain." Gordon states, his face tense. I look around, figuring out what to say.

     "I can't say much, or anything really. But you need to go, please." I try to explain. He looks at me angrily, running a hand through his hair.

     "If there's something I should know, you have to tell me. What if people get killed?"

     "That's what I'm trying to avoid," I mutter. Gordon looks like he's about to argue further but trails off, looking behind me anxiously. Well fuck. I whipped around and gasped when I saw Joker's imposing figure behind me. He still had his face hidden but his eyes were murderous. In a moment of desperation I shot my arms out to push him back, but that was the wrong move. Joker caught my wrists and gripped it tight enough to make me cry out as he whirled me around with ease, my heels dragging across the floor. The mall flashed around us quickly and I shut my eyes tight. A second later, my back slammed into the wall and he pinned my wrists above my head. The feel of his breath, warm and quick at my temple sucked the air from my lungs. I didn't dare open my eyes as terror flooded through me. He's towering above me, something brewing in his eyes, and I involuntarily swallow.

     "Wanna tell me what you're doin'?" he asks. I know better than to trust the light tone, dread starting from my toes and freezing my limbs as it works its way to my throat. Raising his brows, he looks at Gordon before his tongue swipes across his lips, turning back to me. All I could do was let out a small whine, cringing away.

     "You're running out of time to explain yourself, Alex. So, I would start talking." Joker growls in my ear. Slowly opening my eyes, I look over to Gordon who is watching with wariness and panic. I move my gaze over to Joker, flinching at his dark look

     "I-I swear I was listening, but a security guard came and got suspicious so I left. I got, I got lost and ran into him. I didn't say anything, ple-"

     "Enough!" Joker snaps, slamming me against the wall again and I gasped in pain. I shrunk as far away as possible, hoping no one else saw this. I heard a click and quickly looked at Gordon. His hand was on his holster as he watched us. The other hand was slowly moving towards his phone.

     "I wouldn't do that if I were your Commissioner. Unless ya want your family caught in the fire." Joker snarled, snapping his head over to look at Gordon, who put his hands in front of him once again.