Chapter 16: Heart of the Matter

Wonderland...

In Underland Cyrus walked through the Caterpillar's tavern, nonchalantly making his way over to the Caterpillar and his guards as Sebastian, Faye and Evangeline sat at a table.

"Ah, long time, no see, genie," The Caterpillar said.

"Actually, not a genie. Not anymore," Cyrus said.

"Should I offer congratulations or condolences?" The Caterpillar asked.

"I seek neither. I'm here about the item that I traded you years ago, the lost and found. You still have it?" Cyrus said.

"Ah, that depends," The Caterpillar said.

"On what?" Cyrus asked.

"On how much it's worth to you," The Caterpillar answered.

"It's worth a great deal. I, however, am worth very little. I was hoping we could come to... An alternative arrangement," Cyrus said.

The Caterpillar guard whispered something in his ear causing him to laugh, "How about I give you back your little compass in exchange for Alice, the Knave of Hearts and there are whispers of the future White Queen... SheAl too," The Caterpillar suggested.

A shrunken Alice appeared behind Cyrus's shoe and ran unseen behind the Caterpillar's counter, "What's your interest in them?" Cyrus asked.

"They have an unpaid debt. Deliver them here and the compass is yours," The Caterpillar said.

"Bounty hunting is not really my thing," Cyrus said.

"And charity isn't mine," The Caterpillar said as Alice found the compass.

"So I guess you'll be leaving empty-handed then," The Caterpillar said.

Cyrus noticed Alice reappearing with the compass, "Not entirely," Cyrus said.

"Now, how's that?" The Caterpillar asked as Faye, Evangeline and Sebastian walked out of Underland.

Cyrus took a mug from a barmaid who walked past him, "You just bought me a drink," Cyrus said as he began to walk away and the Caterpillar laughed.