Chapter 8: Time To Make A Choice Tig

Boo waited until Clay returned home to slip out the front door. She knew if she left before that there was every chance he might have returned to the garage and she couldn't risk him seeing her there checking on Tig (she couldn't trust the phone call that Gemma had received from Bobby that said the Sergeant at Arms was 'okay'. She knew Clay better than that. He would have beaten Tig to a bloody pulp. Her fears confirmed when he couldn't even open the front door with his stiff, arthritic ridden hands) however the argument he'd started with Gemma on his return home gave her the perfect chance to slip out unnoticed.

"Whoa lassie, I don't think yeh should be here." Chibs cried, darting in front of Boo as she attempted to slip in the clubhouse door. While Clay hadn't yet returned to the clubhouse or garage, Chibs thought it a pretty safe bet that he'd blow his top if he saw his daughter there after all that had gone on that afternoon. The brunette simply scowled at him, eyes narrowed, eyebrow cocked – a look of almost pure hatred. Chibs was rather taken aback by the look, almost upset by it – the kid normally looked so pleased to see him. He didn't like the idea that Boo might hate him, not at all.

"I don't care what you think Filip." She spat viciously, trying her best to push past the Scotsman. Her efforts were in vain; Chibs didn't so much as move an inch. Chibs lips curved into a grin at that, Filip, she must be mad at him if she was using his real name.

"Don't you mean Scottish haggis eating Bastard?" he teased, trying to get a smile out of the teen. Boo said nothing, she simply deepened her frown and folded her arms. Chibs grin faltered just a little. "Yer mad at me huh?" he asked humorously, poking her in the shoulder, trying again to get a smile out of the girl. Still she said nothing. "Boo I was only tryin' teh protect yeh..." Chibs sighed, giving in, knowing why it was that she was mad at him. He understood yes, but he'd dragged her away and sent her home for her own good. If she'd seen Tig, sprawled out on the church floor, bleeding heavily from his nose and wounds, eyes rolling into the back of his head as he fought to stay awake she'd have worked herself into a state. "Yeh didn't need teh see or hear what happened nor what Tig looked like after..." he added trailing off before he spoke of Tig's condition and upset the girl. Boo's indifferent expression suddenly changed, she was suddenly alarmed and fearful. Why had he trailed off? What was he keeping back?

"After what? How bad is he?" she demanded, tears springing to her eyes, again trying to push past Chibs. Again he didn't move.

"Boo..." Chibs sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger and closing his eyes so that he didn't have to look at the pleading, tear stained expression on Boo's face. He could still see her face in his head and guilt soon ate away at him. Surely it would be worse to tell the girl nothing – leaving her free to imagine the worst – than to tell her everything? He caved. "Christ! He's gonna be okay, but Clay broke his nose, bruised his ribs... he's gotta concussion too." He groaned regretting giving in when Boo shrieked in terror and allowed more tears to pour down her cheeks.

"What happened...?" she asked fearfully. "I saw Clay, he was fine." And Clay had been fine, save for his hands. Not a single mark on him! Had Tig not hit him back or had her glance at Clay been too quick to spot any developing bruises on his face?

"Tig stood there and took everythin' Clay threw at him, didn't punch him back once." Chibs shrugged sadly, confirming Boo's fears. Her hatred for Clay increased tenfold. How could he just stand there and beat a man that wouldn't even hit him back? A man that was supposed to be his brother, his right hand man.

"Why?" she demanded, needing answers, not caring in the least bit that Chibs was probably unable to give them to her.

"Best I can tell kid... because he loves you." Was all the Scotsman said, unable indeed to give her more of an answer yet knowing at the same time it was the answer.. He knew the only people able to give her the answer she craved were Tig and Clay and he knew better than to expect her to go home to her father and demand answers from him. He stepped aside, allowing Boo access to the clubhouse door. "Go on, go see him." He said, nodding his head at the door, offering Boo a weak smile. "I'll shoulder the blame if Clay finds out." He assured her, knowing that if the President returned and caught the teen with Tig the both of them would be in a world of trouble. And he didn't think Tig could take another beating. Boo smiled softly in thanks at Chibs before slipping quickly into the clubhouse before he could change his mind.