Chapter 29: Fly, Fly, Precious One

"Boo?" Tara whispered as she looked in on the young brunette, uncertain if she was awake or not. Boo had been given a significant amount of morphine upon her arrival at St. Thomas to combat both the pain of having her dislocated shoulder popped back into place and to ease the excruciating agony she'd felt deep in the pit of her stomach since just after the explosion... A series of tests had determined why Boo had been in agony, but Tara was reluctant to give her the results. The news was devastating and coupled with the dismal news she had about Chibs condition, was enough to completely crush the young author. Tara didn't want to be the one to crush Boo, but she was her doctor and so she had little choice in the matter... At the very least Tara took comfort in the fact that she was Boo's friend, not some clinical doctor that was basically a stranger. The news would be easier for Boo to handle, Tara was sure, coming from a friend.

"Tara..." Boo muttered as she startled awake, the sound of Tara's voice being the one and only thing that was able to stir her from the drug induced slumber in which she'd been in moments previously. The drugs had left Boo weary, more tired than she'd ever felt in her life before and she longed to just sleep, but she longed for news about Chibs even more so. "Is Chibs alright?" she demanded as Tara approached her bed, stopping the doctor in her tracks as she opened up Boo's chart and went to read from it. Boo didn't give a damn about what was wrong with herself, she just wanted to know how her darling Filip was doing... she could worry about herself after she knew how bad a way her man was in.

"I don't think-" Tara began, wanting to insist that Boo wait until she was feeling a little better before she heard just how bad things were with Chibs. Boo simply shook her head, not at all interested in what Tara had to say. She wanted to know how Filip was doing and dammit, she was going to know; no matter how badly he was doing.

"Just tell me Tara." she said firmly, clenching her fists at the same time to prepare herself for news on Filip's condition, no matter how bad it was. And Boo knew already, from the look on Tara's face that things were bad.

Tara, despite wishing to keep the news from Boo, sighed and nodded her head. She knew that the author wouldn't back down until she knew how Filip was doing. Such stress and anguish would only worsen Boo's condition, Tara was certain.

"He's critical, the doctors are still trying to stabilise him." Tara said quickly, ducking her eyes to the floor to avoid looking at Boo's distraught face. She caught a glimpse of it though and Tara knew that is Chibs died it was an imagine that would haunt her for a long time yet. All the colour had drained from Boo's face in an instance, her blue eyes were almost grey, the orbs awash with tears were so wide with fear they seemed too big for Boo's slim face. She didn't make a sound, nor did she say a word and Tara knew it was because Boo was waiting for Tara to say whether or not Chibs would make it. Problem was it was too soon to tell if the Scotsman would live, he was in a really bad way and could flat line at any moment but if the doctors working on him could just stabilise him he'd have a much better chance of surviving. But then of course, there was so many complications that could arise as a result of the fact that he'd landed on the back of his head. "It's impossible to tell right now if he'll make it." Tara admitted quietly, glancing up at the young woman before her. Still, she didn't make a sound, didn't say a word. She just gave one single nod, gave a long, haggard sigh and closed her eyes, allowing the tears that had built up within them to tumble down her cheeks. Gemma, who had been hovering in the corner with a scowl on her lips, her arms folded, stepped forward and embraced her stepdaughter.

"He'll make it baby, don't worry yourself." the matriarch said as she rubbed Boo's back. Boo just nodded and leaned into her, shifted her right arm, which was in a sling, out of the way so that it wasn't crushed between them. Her left arm stayed at her side, fingers clasped around Chibs silver cross necklace, which Tara had handed too her as she'd gotten into the ambulance after taking it off the Scotsman so she could get at his chest easier. Boo had yet to put it down. "It'd take more than a little explosion to take your man out." Gemma added, trying to sound confident and certain on the matter in hopes of reassuring her stepdaughter yet only succeeding in sounding as worried and anxious as she felt. Boo just nodded once again before pulling away from Gemma and wiping her eyes.