Chapter 35: Miñas Nenas

Belfast - Ireland

Kerrianne Larkin-Telford sat in an unfamiliar room on a hard, wooden chair listening to her iPod as her mother and Father Ashby talked about Jimmy and all that had happened that night; the young boy that had turned up at the compound, bleeding, in agony and desperate need of medical attention after being caught out by one of Jimmy's bombs. Her mother had done all she could for the lad, taking him to Maureen Ashby after the guards that normally protected them changed shifts and one of Father Ashby's spies took over, allowing the trio to escape. The teenager shuddered softly at the memory of having that boy – who was younger than she was – slump against her as her mother frantically drove them through the streets of Belfast. He'd looked up at her through those bloodied, deformed eyes the entire journey leaving Kerrianne feeling sick to her stomach. She'd always been squeamish but years of leaving under Jimmy's rule had taught her to stop herself from vomiting at the sight of blood and gore. She was glad, relived to be at St. Matthew's rectory with Father Ashby and her mother, a place she knew she'd be safe, a place Jimmy O wouldn't dare to attack. Now she longed for nothing more than for the awful thoughts and memories that were plaguing her to leave her well alone, she wanted to forget all that had happened that night, the night before and indeed, every night since… well since her father had been forced to leave. Things just hadn't been the same since he'd been forced to leave and she longed to have him back every minute of every day… However it'd been nearly 8 years since Kerrianne had last seen her father and she was certain he'd forgotten all about her.

"How are you settling in Kerrianne?" came Father Kellan Ashby's soft and soothing voice over the sound of Kerrianne's music, startling the teen and jerking her from her thoughts. She gave a weak, barely there smile as she tugged her headphones from her ears.

"Good." She whispered emotionlessly, despite feeling awkward in such an unfamiliar place, out of place and like she didn't belong. But then that was nothing knew, she'd felt like she didn't belong since the day Jimmy O had moved into her home and taken her fathers place in her mothers bed. The awkwardness that she felt in his presence that first day had never, ever gone away. In fact it'd gotten worse the older she'd gotten. At least in the rectory she felt safe, something she had never felt in all her years living with Jimmy O. "Thank you Father." She added hurriedly after a moment's silence, for she'd been brought up to be polite and respectful of her elders – something her father had instilled in her from when she'd been very young – and Father Ashby deserved her thanks after all he'd done for her and her mother.

Father Ashby nodded his head at that. He could see how shaken up and scared Kerrianne was, how nervous she felt. He wanted to talk to her about all she'd seen in the last few hours, and indeed months, but he knew better than to push her. Jimmy's constant presence in her life, the threats he'd made against her and her parents (both the ones she knew about and the ones she didn't) as well as all he'd done to her father had left Kerrianne a sullen and withdrawn teenager who seemed far younger than her 18 years. She kept to herself and wasn't one for sharing her feelings, preferring to disappear into her own little world with her headphones in rather than communicate with those around her. Father Ashby knew to tread very carefully around her if he wanted to get her talking, knew he had to let her speak up about all that was happening at her own pace.

"What you saw tonight, the condition that young lad was in…" Father Ashby said, slowly and warily, his words chosen with care. He didn't want to mention the blood, the horrific state the lads face had been in, the obvious agony his wounds were causing him. Kerrianne was horrified enough by what'd happened, he didn't need to add to that by giving her yet more reminders of all she'd seen. "It must have been very traumatic." Father Ashby concluded, tilting his head sympathetically. Kerrianne had remained still and emotionless as he'd spoken, her eyes fixed on a spot around about his left elbow. She too seemed to be carefully considering what she was going to say and Father Ashby was certain the teenage was going to hide behind a mask of false assurances and promises that she was okay. He could see a war raging in her eyes however, could see in them how much the nights events were affecting her and hoped she'd find it in herself to speak up before what'd happened ate away at her until the point where it destroyed her forever.