Chapter 37: Cry because it's Over

Boo sat alone at the top of the stairs that lead to Maureen's apartment clutching a cloth filled with ice to her swollen right eye, which she still couldn't open. Maureen had given her some painkillers before she'd taken Fiona and Kerrianne back to the rectory but they had done nothing to ease the pain in Boo's eye and jaw. A glance in the mirror had shown Boo that almost the entire right side of her face was swollen and littered with dark bruising, her eye was black and the cut just above it was shallow but curved right up to the lining of her hair. The bruises on her cheeks, left by Jimmy's fingers, were lighter in colour but had spread quite far out on her skin, making them seem worse than they were. Boo knew Chibs was going to go insane when he saw what Jimmy had done to her, when he found out about all that had happened whilst he was in Dungloe. She hoped he won't be stupid or reckless enough to go after Jimmy and that if he did; she'd have it in her to stop him. Chibs would only get himself killed if he went after Jimmy now. Boo was about to go and replace the rapidly melting ice in the cloth when the roar of motorcycles reached her ears. She got to her feet with smile, a smile that soon fell away when she caught sight of the convey of bikes; even from a distance and with one eye swollen shut, she could see that there were several men missing and that those that remained looked a little worse for wear. The atmosphere on the lot became subdued and depressed before everyone had rolled to a stop. Boo hesitated at the top of the stairs as the Sons dismounted their bikes and headed inside, uncertain if it was her place to join them and ask what was going on but she soon realised that everyone was going inside but Filip, who had sat himself down on one of the benches. Within moments he'd dropped his head into his hands and his body convulsed and jerked with sobs. Boo dashed down the stairs to him at once, gripping the handrail for support as her distorted vision meant she was stumbling. As she approached Filip the last of the stranglers – Jax and Juice - headed inside; each of them patted him on the shoulder as they passed him by, offered words of comfort. Boo couldn't help but notice that their skin and clothes alike had been blackened with something akin to soot. Boo gulped fearfully, her hands started to shake and she couldn't rid herself of the feeling that something truly awful had happened.

"Filip…" Boo whispered softly, uncertainly, once they were alone outside. She kept a distance from her husband, who smelled strongly of smoke and blood, for she was certain her presence would startle him and make him lash out without thinking. Chibs raked his shaking fingers through his hair before turning to face Boo, who gasped in shock at the heartbroken expression on his tear dampened face. His eyes were almost black, burning with anguish, ringed red from spent tears that still continued to fall from them while his hair, although freshly washed that morning, was limp, dirty and hung about his face heavy with grease and filth. His blackened face was gaunt under the dirt that stained it, damp with tears, his lips contorted into a grimace that seemed to age him ten years. Whatever had happened in Dungloe had left his so distraught he didn't even see the mess Boo's face was in; in fact it was almost like he didn't see her at all. Boo took a few cautious steps closer. Chibs eyes focussed a little more then sparked in recognition. He held his hand out to Boo who took it without hesitation, laced their fingers together tight. "What's going on Filip?" Boo asked anxiously, voice shaking as much as Chibs was. The Scotsman didn't answer, he just pulled her closer. He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face into her chest with an anguished sigh. Even through the layers of clothing she was wearing, Boo could feel his tears. She put one arm around his shoulders at once, curled her free hand tight in his hair, holding him too her before burying her face in his hair, despite the dirt and grime that clung to it. Now that she was pressed up against him, Boo realised her man smelt of death. She held Chibs too her, still and silent, for more than a full minute before she asked "Where's Paddy?" She'd noticed the young Irishman had been missing from the convey of bikes as soon as it'd pulled into the lot. As much as she liked to believe that maybe he'd stayed behind for some reason, Chibs anguish made it obvious that something had happened him.