Chapter 11: The Calm Before The Storm

"Here." Tig said as he placed a cold, freshly opened beer in front of Chibs. The Scotsman nodded his thanks and eased away the icepack on his nose with a wince, the icepack was covered in his blood, but the bleeding in his nose seemed to have stopped so Chibs chucked the ice pack to one side before taking a swing of his beer. "How's your nose?" Tig asked as he slumped down on the couch next to Chibs, his own beer in hand.

"It'll be fine, it ain't broken but yeh did a number on it." Chibs nodded as he gingerly poked and prodded at his nose. It was swollen as fuck, red and had been, up until he'd managed to stem the bleeding, spewing blood like anyone's business but luckily for Chibs, Tig hadn't broken it. He deemed that a miracle in itself, by all rights Tig should have broken his nose with the first punch. Tig was The Sergeant at Arms; it was his duty to have a good punch.

"Sorry about that man, you understand why I had too." Tig scowled staring down at the beer in his hand forlornly. In some ways he deeply regretting beating on Chibs, knowing what he now knew, knowing that Chibs was in love with Boo but had let her down for her own good, but at the same time Chibs had hurt the girl, hurt her bad, and Tig didn't know all the facts when he stormed into the Scotsman's home fists flying. Chibs nodded solemnly, took another swing of his beer.

"Aye, yeh love that kid more than anything, she's hurtin' and I'm the reason why." He said with a grimace on his lips, hating that the words that came out of his lips were true. Boo was hurting and he was the reason why. Hell she'd be hurting for a long time coming and it all came back down on him. He hated himself for it, but he knew he'd probably hate himself even more if he gave in and made Boo his Ol' Lady only to humiliate and crush her by cheating on her on runs, to leave her all alone getting killed on some run or worse, getting her killed for the simple fact that she was his. He wouldn't even be able to live with himself if that happened... he'd end up a Nomad, alone with his grief travelling around the stateside SOA charters just flowing from one day to the next, not caring if he lived or died.

Tig saw the hurt on Chibs face, the devastation and regret and patted him on the back. He could only imagine how much the guy was hurting. He'd got it all out of Chibs in the end, after questioning him of his love for Boo. Chibs had told Tig everything... Boo's date kicking her out of the car, her stumbling down his street, him patching her up and listening as she told him everything. Chibs told Tig about kissing her and realising that he was and always had been in love with her, of knowing that he had to push her away because he didn't want her to have the life he'd bring her. He told him of Emily Duncan and the conversation with Boo it had lead to where they'd openly admitted they were in love with one another before deciding that they shouldn't be together despite neither party really wanting such an outcome. Tig had been for the first time in a long time, lost for words. He almost couldn't believe what he was hearing yet he knew it to be true. He'd seen heartbreak before; he knew the look it left on a man's face. He was amazed at his brother for being able to turn Boo down for her own good. Had it been the other way around, Tig knew he would have never been able to do such a thing. Although he was selfish like that. But Chibs had turned her down and despite how much pain Boo was in, Tig knew that Chibs had made the right choice. Tig didn't want her to have that sort of life either.

"You did the right thing you know." He said, letting his hand fall as he continued to stare down at his beer. Chibs was able to perk his lips up just a little at that comment. He could hear everything that Tig had chosen not to say.

"Aye, she can do a lot better than me, I know it." He nodded grimly, before taking another swig of his beer. He savoured the cool, malty taste for it a moment as yet again he relived Boo's pleading with him, the way she begged him to change her mind and give them a chance. He knew that she didn't believe there was anyone better out there for her. "Just wish she did." He added bitterly. Tig couldn't help but smirk at that. Boo was stubborn, she'd been in love with Chibs for over two years now and no about of Tig telling her to move on and find someone else, to just get over him was going to change that.