00.03

vote • comment • follow

╔═══════════════╗「 chapter | three 」   ❛❛ masquerade ❞  ╚═══════════════╝

╔═══════════════╗
chapter | three
   ❛❛ masquerade
╚═══════════════╝

NOW STANDING BY THE front pillars of the entrance, I start to question my entire existence. "Was no one going to tell me this was masquerade themed?" I could have sworn it was just a regular social event.

Emory just shrugs. "Apparently no one knew—except your parents of course. They're giving out masks once you step inside," Emory smooths his brown hair back and brushes his hands down his suit jacket to straighten it out.

Right when I'm about to reply I hear my name being yelled from across the lot by two very familiar voices. "Elian!" My feet pivot against the concrete as I turn to face my two little sisters. Nayeli, stark in a strapless navy blue dress that hugs her waist—almost like a corset and Denali in the same but in a magnolia red color.

They both tackle me in a hug, wrinkling my three piece suit in the process. "Okay guys, relax. That Armani suit costs more than your shoes. That's enough hugging," Emory cuts in and I give him the finger.

"Just because you don't get enough affection, doesn't mean you can stop us from doing so." Nayeli snaps back, glaring at him with the same brown eyes her and I share. Even with Nayeli and Denali being twins—even fraternal, it's easy to tell them apart by their eyes. Nayeli inherited our father's eyes and Denali inherited both our mother's emerald green eyes and our father's due to Heterochromia Iridum—though she's wearing a contact in the left, hiding the actual color. Nayeli is more outgoing while Denali is introverted and to herself. You'd be lucky if she even muttered a word to you.

After our small family reunion, I fix up my suit and tell them we should head inside. As Emory said, masks are being handed out. I choose a red and black one to match the ensemble of my all black suit and suede, red bottom loafers.

"Let's get this shit over with."

"Oh cheer up, knowing your parents, there will be booze and women. You haven't been with a girl in so long, you're practically a virgin. Live your life," Emory says and I wipe my hand down my face to hide my smile. I don't mention my escapades to Emory, or anyone. And I definitely won't mention how I orgasmed twice today alone—it's nobody's business. Rolling my eyes at his idiocy, we quickly check through security—a measure my parents thought was necessary since they "have made so many enemies while trying to rise to the top."

I enter the banquet hall and hold my breath. I've never been to a space that makes me feel so small or so simple. Crystal chandeliers spiraled down from the vaulted blue ceiling, illuminating the glittering gold walls and icy lake floors. And it wasn't just the ballroom. Women and men sparkling like jewels, emeralds, rubies and amethysts swirled before me, their quiet chatter mixed with the scents of roses, hyacinths and expensive colognes.