Twenty ♥ Cookies

"I literally hear the dogs from here." The little wheels of the suitcases Tommy is carrying create satisfying clicks on the pavement, and you try to keep your eyes open by looking at them. You suppress a yawn and listen closely, now hearing Betty and Walter barking as well. It's too dark to see, but they're probably terrorizing the whole neighbourhood behind the glass window of your house. You have never been so tired before and your feet feel like the heaviest rocks.

Your house comes closer and closer, just like the barking. You see the vague shadow of your mother appearing at the window, pulling away the dogs. The barking also stops and you sigh deeply as you stop before the front door. You take a quick look at your phone, discovering that it is already way past midnight. Nice, your dogs have just woken up everyone in the street.

"Tess, Tom!", your dad tries to whisper but you hear an enthusiastic tone in his voice, probably excited to see you again. You already prepare for an attack, and you are indeed pulled into a cramped hug by both your mum and your dad. Tommy whines as his cheek is pressed against yours and you try to pull away as quickly as possible. "Hey, hey, hey", you whisper, slowly closing the front door behind you, "It's only been three days..."

"We've literally missed your birthday! Give us a moment", your mother opens the door leading to the living room, giving way to the energetic Betty and Walter. Whatever your mom told them to shut up and stop barking, they ignore it and start yelping again as they jump on you and your brother. You have never been irritated by your dogs ever, but now you're so tired, and you feel the urge to yell at them. No, you don't have anger issues.

Your dad chuckles at the animals and beckons you to the living room. "Dad, I am so, so tired. Can I just go upstairs and sleep? Like literally, just fall on my bed and close my eyes?", you try to secure your point with a yawn. "Dad, please listen to Tess", Tommy says, placing his and your suitcase at the end of the hallway, "She has said literally nothing this whole way back from the station, except for 'Can you please pull my suitcase?'" You nod slowly, signalling Tommy a thank you.

"Well, if you insist", your father shrugs and points to the stairs. You put your coat on the floor - "Tess...!" - You put your coat on the coat rack, shake off your shoes and climb the stairs slowly but surely. "I'll go too", you hear Tommy's voice behind you. You sigh internally, not feeling like sharing the bathroom right now. You quickly hide in the bathroom and turn on the light, looking at yourself in the mirror. Your hair is a bit messy and you have massive eye bags. Shouldn't have stayed up too late on your birthday when you had to leave the next night.

You brush your teeth one by one, closing your eyes against the bright light. Tommy soon joins you, already in his pyjamas, and starts brushing his teeth as well. You already prepare for anything he's going to say, but he wisely stays quiet. When you're done and you want to leave the bathroom, Tommy holds you back. He tries to say something, but his mouth is full of toothpaste. You cross your arms as he spits it out in the sink, turning back to you.

"Tess. I still have a gift for you. Well, actually two, I think." He keeps staring at you, and you raise your eyebrows. "But you already gave me something...?", you say, already walking back towards your bedroom. Tommy starts following you, all the way to your bed. You sit down and wait for your brother to continue. "Wait, I think it's still in my suitcase. Wait here, okay? Wait here", Tommy sprints downstairs, and you stay where you are as you put on your pyjamas.

After a minute or two Tommy returns, a whole ass wrapped gift in his hands. "I got this for you yesterday", he whispers, "So I thought I would give it to you now." You accept the gift with curiosity and quietly rip it open. "Oh! Wait, this is actually nice!" Tommy snorts at your comment. "So you were expecting something that wasn't nice?" You ignore him as you admire the gift Tommy just gave you. It's a framed group picture of you and your friends in Spain, which you made when you were on the top of the mountain. You asked some weird stranger to make it and you actually didn't know it ended up being such a cute picture. "Thanks!", you whisper, giving Tommy a small hug. You stand up, place it on an empty space on your desk, and flop down on your bed again.