Twenty-Three ♥ Lovejoy But Better

You're smiling at a grown man who's playing the ukelele on the stage, singing 'Over the Rainbow'. You haven't stopped laughing since the first performance, and that's undoubted the consequence of your nerves. Mr Henderson (the English teacher that made you clean the toilets because you were late) placed you in the front row of your college's theatre. Jade's sitting next to you, constantly moving her leg back and forth. You don't really mind, she's probably just as nervous as you.

As if Henderson still wasn't done with you, he placed Tommy behind you as well. You don't know if that's a good thing or not. You hoped for some emotional support from your twin brother, but instead, he's annoying the shit out of you by kicking his legs against your chair. You turn around for the millionth time and look Tommy in the eyes. "Can you just stop, dickhead?!", you whisper, a bit too loud. Miss Portwood, your history teacher that happens to pass by at the perfect moment, turns her head and raises an eyebrow at you. You shoot her an apologizing look and she smiles. "I'll forgive you", she whispers back, "Tom is quite the dickhead."

Wilbur, who's sitting next to Tommy, starts laughing and receives some angry faces from the other people in the audience. Tommy makes a disappointed face. "I thought you were one of the nice teachers, miss Portwood", he whispers. Portwood shrugs and crosses her arms like a damn boss. "I am, Tom, but I'm not that nice to kids that dropped out of college. You always said you liked my history classes! Look where you ended up now, no history knowledge and playing a block game..." You clap quietly as Portwood strides away, leaving behind a shocked Tommy.

You try not to laugh as you turn your head back to the podium, but that stupid nerve smile stays on your face and it hurts your cheeks. You are the freaking last act, so you'll have to stay like this for another two hours. Why did they make Henderson organize this? It's clear that he wants you to have the worst time here, since you came late to his class. Twice now, actually. And you flipped off Tommy when he was looking. And you forgot your homework four times. It's just that you don't like English classes. You're the perfect student in all your other classes. Promise.

Jade wakes you up from your thoughts by tapping you on your leg. "It's your lover!", she whispers, a grin on her face. You look up to the stage where you see Arlo, the guy which you told you were gay, even when you didn't know it yet. Your cheeks burn as he looks you dead in the eyes. "Hello everyone", he says, his mouth way too close to the mic, "Today I'm going to play the flute for you all." You cover your mouth quickly as you try not to laugh. Jade pushes your shoulder. "Tess, don't be mean! Will used to play the flute as well when he was younger!" You frown and turn around, looking at a nodding Wilbur. "It's true. I respect this guy", he says.

After Arlo has played his surprisingly good flute solo, Mr Henderson calls in for a break. There are tables placed all over the big hall, and you join your parents, Will, Tommy and Jade at a table. "Tess and I will get the drinks", Tommy says, and soon you're waiting at the minibar repeating the orders from your friends and family. "Jade wanted sparkling water, right?" "No, that was mum." "I am sure it was Jade!" "Okay, okay, but what did Will want again?" "Coffee." "With or without milk?" "With sugar, dumbass!"

As a real barista, you grab almost all the drinks at once. Tommy grabs two cups of coffee from you, almost burning his hand. You try not to laugh as he quickly places down the cups on a random table, waving his hand through the air. "There are handles on there for a reason, Tomathy", you chuckle. "Shut the fu-", Tommy spots Mr Henderson just in time, "-funny! You are so funny, Tess. Like, you're the funniest sister ever." You kick Tommy's knee, a bit harder than intended. "FUCK!", Tommy immediately shuts his mouth as he starts rubbing his knees. Henderson turns around and shoots your twin the most terrifying glare.

"Thomas?", he slowly says. Why can't that man just shut up for one time? He's like that cringe evil teacher in high school musicals. "Mr Henderson? Great to see you!", Tommy whimpers softly, "It's been, uh, it's been a long time, am I right?" Henderson looks at you and you give him an awkward smile. Is this the time to save your brother? Nah. Tommy just swore, you didn't. "Thomas. I don't want to hear such words in our college. As a former student, you know that this is a rule here." You see the noticeable irritation from both Mr Henderson and Tommy. Please, Tommy, don't embarrass me. This isn't the time.