Thirty-Six ♥ Stalker

You take in a deep breath of fresh, pure air. When you landed in America up till now, you were surrounded by car fumes, bad-smelling strangers and the peculiar scent when you enter the hall of the large building where your apartment is. Now you're in Bryant Park, a park nearby your apartment, the one you looked out at through your bedroom window. 

The whole park is filled with people. Mothers with either crying or screaming babies, businessmen in suits walking down the paths at high speed, families looking for a nice outing for the day for free, people walking their dogs, and the one you sadly see the most, couples making out on a lovely picnic blanket. Every time you see another couple holding hands and leaning in for a kiss, you can't help but think of Jade.

Tommy, Elodie and Ash have been doing a pretty good job keeping your mind elsewhere. Whenever you say something that's even a tiny bit related to your girlfriend, they steal your shoes off your feet. You asked them why they couldn't find a better and less weird punishment, but they seemed to like their genius idea. But now you took some alone time in the park while the others continued vlogging, and you can't push Jade-related thoughts away.

You open your phone and click on Jade's chat. Wait, what? She's typing. She's typing! You gasp out loud and quickly cover your mouth, hoping no one's heard it. An old man with a cane passing by starts laughing. His laugh is raw and crackles through your ears. "Ha! Excited about that little device of yours, no? Young people these days... They laugh at those cursed little screens! Are you out of your mind?!" 

You raise your eyebrows at the man as he starts swinging his cane. "You better listen to me, young girl-" You gasp again when the man stumbles and falls onto the ground, his cane not catching him since it was swaying in the air before. You stand up from the bench you're sitting on, trying so damn hard not to laugh. You are a terrible person, Tess Simons.

But before you can even decide on helping him, a middle-aged woman runs towards the now silently mumbling man and kneels down. She doesn't immediately help him up, but looks at you with a hopeless face. "I am so sorry for my father-in-law. The old days are getting at him. Did he swear at you?" You want to shake your head, but the man turns his head to look you directly in the eyes. "You dirty little fu-" "NO! Bert, leave the poor girl alone, we're going home." She lifts the still cursing grandpa off the ground and as she walks away, she mouths to you: "I am so sorry!"

You stand there, blink your eyes a couple of times, and sit back on the bench. What the actual fuck was that? Just when you want to unlock your phone again, not remembering why you were on it a minute ago, somebody grabs your shoulders from behind and screams. You return the scream and quickly turn around. Unfortunately, it's not the creepy Bert, it's your brother. "You moron!", you stand up from the bench and push your brother away.

Tommy laughs uncontrollably. "That's what that old man wanted to say to you too", he smiles when he can finally hold his laugh. You sigh in defeat. "Ah no... did you see that? It was so weird!" Tommy lifts his phone in the air and wiggles it a bit. "I did not only see it, I recorded it!" You groan and your brother swings his arm around your shoulder, but it's slapped off by you within a second. "Ash and Elodie found a hotdog stand, so we're going there", Tommy says. 

You nod, but your head is somewhere else since you just remembered why you were gasping at your phone. But you see Jade hasn't sent you a text message, and she isn't typing anymore. You make a complaining sound out loud and Tommy gives you a questionable look. "What? I thought you love hotdogs!" You look at him, confused, but then you understand what he's saying. "No- I mean, yes, I do! It's just that...", you hesitate to tell him because you know he will take off your shoes or something, "Jade was typing earlier, but now she stopped and she hasn't sent me a message either."