23

"I am visiting who?", I asked not believing my ears.

"The Potters, Athea. They are hosting a New Year Ball and we are invited", my mother answered.

"What made you think I'll go this year?", I questioned.

"The wish that I want you to come this time", she looked at me pointedly and I groaned.

"But Mum I don't want to", I whined.

She sighed. "Athea, I am not going to force you but it would be better if you come. Euphemia's son has specially requested that you come along this year", she reasoned.

"Potter asked me to come along?", I scoffed. "Mum, that would be a mistake. Besides, I never attend any of their balls, do I? It won't be any different this year", I said.

"He said you could bring your friends along too", she tried to convince me.

"Clars is visiting her grandfather's on New Year and L would be in Paris", I replied, thereby making it clear that I won't be coming along.

Now I knew what the conversation between the marauders and Clare meant yesterday.

Mum looked upset but nodded. "I won't be forcing you", she smiled softly and left towards her room.

I felt a nagging in my chest since I didn't want to disappoint her or make her upset but my confusing feelings were enough for the time being. I didn't want to meet the marauders right now.

Since Christmas was fast approaching, I decided to head out for getting the gifts.

I flooed to the Leaky Cauldron and left the pub to head to Diagon alley.

I got Clare a pair of mugs that read "I am a catch" with a snitch above it and "It's a keeper" written on it from Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Next, I went to Twilfitt and Tatting's to get Mum a cozy blush pink scarf and Severus some new robes. He needed to get rid of the old ones. Knowing that he wouldn't wear anything apart from the colour black, I got his gift in the same colour.

The wish to buy something for my father led me inside the Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment which, apart from keeping important wizarding equipments, kept a few prank products too. What I didn't expect was to find such a large amount of prank products this year.

I got my father a never ending suitcase, just like the one Newt Scamander had, something that won't be opened without the magical signature of the owner. It could work as both, a suitcase and a complete house to whatever you want to keep in it.
I knew how important a few documents of my father were and how worried he always was of him loosing any of them.

I also got a mirror through which we can talk to the person holding the other piece for Regulus in case he ever needs to talk to someone.

While exiting the shop, I saw the special set of prank supplies. It consisted of potion that could change appearances, candies made to make your breath stink, pills that could make a person grow beards, a lot of other prank products and a whole book of prank and fun spells.

Looking at it reminded me of the marauders. I wasn't very sure if I should buy it or not because more or less, I hate the fact that they prank the Slytherins. But I couldn't go away without buying them anything, not when Potter has invited me to the New Year Ball.

I ended up buying four prank supply sets, convincing myself that they are harmless pranks and they won't affect the students much even if they the marauders use it on them. It's better if they use these products than their own ideas anyway. Their ideas are actually disastrous.