39

It had been a month.
Yesterday was the day I removed the leaf from my mouth and kept it in a small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon, along with one of my hair and a silver teaspoon of dew from a place that neither sunlight nor human feet have touched. I have no idea how my parents arranged that. This had to be kept like this seven days before the next step takes place.

It had been a month.
Remus and I have been exchanging a lot of letters. We even called each other through public phone booth sometimes. Well, I have used the public one. He had a landline.
I really really really missed him. I wish I could go and see him.

It had been a month.
No calls and no letters from either Clare or Laura. Looks like Clare really think I am a stuck up pureblood and Laura is still mad that the two of us are fighting and so, she has kept her word of not talking to us until we talk to each other. I have sent a few letters to her but she hasn't responded to any, making it clear she isn't going to sway from her decision.

It had been a month.
The OWL results were out three days ago. I got nine Outstanding and one Exceeding Expectations in Study of Ancient Runes. And guess what? Remus scored all ten Outstanding which meant he won the bet. He said he would make me his servant some other day, when he has something good for me to do in mind. The fuck is wrong with my luck.

It had been a month.
I have started learning more and more of the defensive and healing spells. I have been practicing the patronus charm everyday but the best improvement I have made till now was a silver wisp of light and nothing else. It's hard to focus on the happy memories when you either miss the people you have them with or aren't talking to them.

It had been a month.
Mom and Dad either don't come home for days or don't go anywhere for days. Fera, the house elf and Hermes, my owl, are the only ones who keep me company. It's been a lot like the time when they were Aurors.

It had been a month.
Headmaster Dumbledore visited thrice and kept a check on my occlumency skills. Apart from that, he would talk to my parents about missions I was not allowed to know about.

It had been a month.
I have been adding more and more things in the suitcase I gifted Dad on Christmas. Mom said that in case we have to run away, we'll have to take the suitcase with us. It contains all the things we would require if we have to live in hiding.

It had been a month...
...of lurking danger in air and extreme loneliness without friends.

----

After seven days, I added the chrysalis of a Death's-head Hawk Moth to the crystal phial as well. Then I placed it in a quiet and dark place and left it alone until the next electrical storm.

----

Every sunrise and sundown , I would place the tip of my wand on my heart and speak the incantation, "Amato Animo Animato Animagus". From what I read, there would be a time when, with the touch of the wand-tip to the chest, a second heartbeat may be sensed.

I sensed it after eleven days.

----

1 August, 1976

As soon as the lightning appeared in the sky, I went to the place where I've hidden the crystal phial. There was a mouthful of blood-red potion inside it which meant I did it right.

I took the phial and went to my parents who were waiting anxiously for me. "Did it turn blood-red?", Mum asked the moment she saw me. I raised the phial in response.

Next, I went to one of the guest rooms with a window which have been emptied completely. My parents stayed at the door to give me more space.

I placed my wand-tip against my heart and spoke the incantation "Amato Animo Animato Animagus". Finally, I drank the potion.

I felt a fiery pain in my body and an intense double heartbeat. I struggled not to scream in pain.

A very vague shape of a four-legged creature started appearing in my mind. My clothes started melting into my skin and fur appeared while my body size started to grow in size.

The shape started to become clear.

My body bent down on its own and my position went to stand on four limbs. The shape became completely clear and it was the least expected creature.

A thestral.

•••••

A/n: The next chapter is the last chapter.