Ch.16: The Truth After The Lies

I could hear Nevaeh giggling somewhere off in the distance. If I had to place where exactly she was, it probably would be the kitchen or the laundry room, based off the echo. Wherever she was, her father would be. The two of them were joined at the hip. Two peas in a pod, ever since she was a baby. I was salty as fuck that she was & is a daddy's girl, but I loved it at the same time. Anyway, so if I found one, it would be a two for one & I would automatically win the game & that's just what I planned on doing.

"Pooberry, where's daddy?" I asked as I raised my water gun, peeking around the corner like I was some type of special ops. I seen what looked like the top of his fade, disappear near the kitchen sink. Bingo! I got action! So I moved slowly & as quietly as I could to get closer.

 Bingo! I got action! So I moved slowly & as quietly as I could to get closer

"Stop cheating!" he yelled, essentially giving up his position. Just as I put my finger on the trigger, the both of them came around the corner & ambushed me, squirting water at me at lightning speed & laughing hysterically. Not one to back down, I returned fire as I took off running with them close on my tail.

I ran towards the dining room, where I had water balloons waiting in a bucket. We really should've been outside playing like this but it unexpectedly rained & Maurice didn't want us to be "glow face zombies", so we said fuck it. We could mop it up, you only live once, right? Just as I bent the corner I hit my big toe on the wood panel & stopped dead in my tracks as I screamed & cursed from the pain.

They took the opportunity to soak me, especially since Maurice had a Super Soaker and we had measly ass little water guns. His big childish ass then began to unload the balloons on me, with our mini joining him.

"Time out! I hit my toe!" I shouted over their laughter as Maurice scooped me up bridal style to look at it.

"You good, big baby" he teased as he put me down. "And we won" he high fived Vaeh as they both smiled at me.

"Nah, y'all cheated. Two against one is never fair, jerk" I protested as I hobbled over to the couch to sit down.

"It's ok Mommy, I'll be on your team next time" Vaeh chimed in as she sat her water gun down & walked closer to me.

"Thank you baby. Then we can really kick daddy's butt right?"

"Yeah!" she excitedly shouted as she high-fived my waiting hand.

"Trader!" Maurice acted offended as he sat his super soaker down. "I thought we were better than that Nevaeh Grace" he pouted while folding his arms, sending us both into a laughing fit.

"I luh my mommy too" she rebuttal, looking up at him just as I pulled her closer to kiss her temple.

"Yeah iight...And Niecy that 2 VS 1 can change one day" he winked at me & I rolled my eyes in return as he picked our daughter up, holding her just like he held me earlier. "Alright big heads. We're gonna go get some towels, Mommy. While you sit there & whine about your lil' boo boo. Be back" he laughed as they disappeared around the corner.