Ch. 25: Keep Your Head Up

If it's one thing outside of my husband that I know I can depend on, it's our village. It's one thing to hear about the great support systems people have, but it's a whole 'nother thing to actually have one. With Maurice getting outta the hospital & me being his sole caregiver, it was going to be damn near impossible to take care of him, myself and our kids alone. So with that, my mother & Earl decided that they'd keep the children for as long as it was needed & would bring them daily to visit us until their father got well enough.

Seems like a lot, but with my mother being a "stay at home wife", she and Earl were ecstatic. She gave me the run down of all the fun things they had planned & places they were going to take them. It was like having a kid(s) all over again for her & for the very first time for Earl. Mama Sheryl on the other hand, basically moved into the guest bedroom & during the times I was either at work or sleeping, she'd tend to Maurice. Tiffany and Erica would pick up his prescriptions & bring us food. They would stay for hours on end talking to their brother & cracking jokes. They kept it real lighthearted & never mentioned that man & his wife (their parents) & their sudden disappearance. They literally cut all communication with everyone & hadn't seen Erica, Tiffany or her children since Nevaeh's birthday party. That they were super late for & given the tension between Matthew and Maurice & the whole Lex bullshit minutes prior to them arriving...They didn't stay long. But it was nice to see him laugh & smile with his sisters, since he hadn't in the two weeks he was in the hospital & the two weeks of him being home.

In the beginning, when he first came home were the hardest. Hearing him using the restroom & groaning in pain broke my heart, since there was literally nothing I could do for him. With me helping him with everything else, he didn't want my assistance in the restroom. I high-key praised God about it, especially with his bowel movements. As much as I love my husband, I could hardly stomach changing our kids diapers when they shit. I would for sure pass on the fuck out, if I had to wipe his ass.

Since his kidneys took some blows, he was pissing blood for a spell & that pain, even the painkillers couldn't really help with

Since his kidneys took some blows, he was pissing blood for a spell & that pain, even the painkillers couldn't really help with. I'd help change his badges, clean his stitches & give him food to eat so his medicine wouldn't make him sick. As time went by, I seen the old him returning more & more as his body started to heal. Once his eye was free of stitches & all of the swelling to his face, bruises and all started to fade, he was getting more & more chipper. It had gotten to the point where his Mom went back to her house & facetime'd him to check on him. His job even allowed him to work remotely, until he was ready to return to the office & speaking of returns...Today was the day that we get full custody of our kids back LOL.