Ch. 26: The Optics

The office was extremely busy due to an impending meeting with the investors of the company making a visit soon. Everyone was so focused on getting in tip top shape, it was hard for the Detective's to get anyone's real attention. It took them a good minute before they were even pointed in the right direction for Lex's office. When they finally made it, they knocked & waited.

"Come in!" she shouted from her desk, still typing away when the two entered. "Just sit the reports on my desk, I'll look them over before I sign off on them being sen--" she paused, when she looked up from her computer screen, her eyes darted back & forth between the two of theirs.

"May I help you?"

Detective Washington pulled the chair in front of her desk out for Detective Walsh, who took a seat. He stood by patiently waiting, Lex still looking back & forth between the two, visibly confused on the visit.

"We're here to ask you a few questions, if that's ok" Detective Walsh replied, pulling her handy dandy pen & notepad out.

"Questions about what?" Lex quizzed, crossing her hands on the desk next to her keyboard.

"A little over two months ago, Maurice Howard was brutally attacked & we have suspicion to believe you're connected" Det. Washington said frankly, his expression hard to read.

"Oh my God...I didn't even know that" she paused with her hand over her chest & then scrunched her face up, once it registered what he said towards the end.

"Connected?! I don't even know why my name was even brought up. I don't have anything to do with it" she sat back in her chair, her eyes never leaving Det. Washington's face. They only did when Det. Walsh began to speak.

"You had an altercation with his wife not too long before the attack, correct?" her brows raised, with the pen to the notepad

"Yeah, but what does that have to do with Maurice?" she replied, watching Walsh write that down.

"Retaliation" Det. Washington stated, gaining her attention back as she twisted her face & shook her head, growing visibly annoyed at the accusation.

"Hit her where it hurts" he continued.

"Look, unlike most people who probably are guilty. This is the part where they say they want their attorney, but since I'm innocent & have nothing to hide...I'm not...And I know Denise probably brought my name up--"

"How your name came about, should be the least of your worries, Ms. Rogers or is it Pete?" Det. Washington asked sternly, finally taking the seat next to his partner.

"It's Rogers, I'm no longer married so--" she started but was cut off by Walsh.

"You blame Mrs. Howard for that, correct? So to get back at her, you had her husband attacked" she waited, still pen to pad.