20| Fight for love

ARABELLA'S POV

"Ahh.." I flinched in pain as I felt a momentarily stinging sensation on my cheek.

My gaze was fixated on the concerned brown ones which have been worriedly taking in the bruises and cuts on my face as the owner of those eyes carefully cleaned the blood with the antiseptic solution.

No matter what he says, one thing is sure, he still cares.

"Shh.." Rhett said softly, as he has been saying ever since that antiseptic solution first touched my wounds.

"Don't shh me." I said, feeling irritated by how nicely he was treating me.

I didn't want these feelings from him, they will only make everything even harder for me to work out.

I don't have time to dwell on my feelings.

He rolled his eyes but still continued to tend my wounds. I was sitting on the counter top of my bathroom while Rhett was standing in between my legs.

Tingles ran down my neck as I felt his warm breath on my skin. He was practically hovering over me, and the heat and warmth from his body had me caged.

His fingers on my skin made me quiver in my seat and I fought my best to hide the feeling of shivers that elicited in its wake.

This guy can leave me tense, excited and overrunning with sensations even without trying.

"Are you hurt anywhere else? Do you want to get you some painkillers?" Rhett asked, but didn't even bother to wait for an answer as he quickly rummaged through the drawers of the vanity.

I didn't bother stopping him because seeing him so concerned and caring makes me want to bask in the intense moment and savour it for as long as it lasts.

"Here, take this and I'll go get you some water." He said as he handed me a tablet and walked out of the room, only to return seconds later with a glass of water.

"You do realise that I have been through a lot worse, and now pain is like a companion who keeps me awake and angry, a constant reminder that I'm still alive and I have a job to finish." I said and Rhett's caring demeanour shifted to rather exhausting as he let out a sigh in response to what I stated.

"Here." Rhett said while handing me over the glass of water.

"You said we should mind our own business, then what is going on now? Why are you suddenly concerned?" I asked, instantly managing to get under his skin as he tightened his jaw before looking away from me.

"I don't want to, just like how I want to start believing that you don't care. But we both know that isn't the case." Rhett said and I tilted my head to the side, wanting him to continue, while sipping water, not bothering with the painkiller.

"I saw how your eyes sparkled when Robert took charge. Even though you were out their acting as if you wanted to gravely injure your brother, I saw you greatly holding yourself back, and no matter how much my mind tells me to be wary of you, it's my heart that still trusts you blindly enough to know that there's no way you came back to hurt your family, even though they managed to." He said as his fingers tenderly caressed my cheek that definitely had a red handprint on it.

His gaze was glaring on the side of my cheek, but his touch was gentle and hesitant, as if he was afraid of hurting me.

"Why the sudden change of heart? Last time I checked, you wanted to be the first one to unfold my secrets, what now?" I asked, almost breathed out, becoming more conscious of the closeness between us.

"I genuinely want to know what is going on, I really do and it is killing me seeing you so distant. Two years Arabella, two years apart and now I'm scared to lose you again. I waited a whole year for you to come back but you never did and when you did, you came back a completely different person, yet somehow the same girl I knew." Rhett said and my eyes softened as I noticed the vulnerability behind his eyes and sensed the shakiness in his voice.

"But I'll wait, as long as it takes, Arabella. I'll wait for you to tell me, if you ever wish to. Seeing you today, Fuck.... It scares me to think that you could have gotten seriously hurt even though I'm sort of proud seeing you kicking Alexander's ass. I'm tired of fighting my feelings and now I'm going to fight for them." Rhett whispered the last part and my eyes instantly widened in shock.

"What?" I managed to squeak out, my heart beat racing a thousand times faster as I noticed Rhett decreasing the gap between us to a fraction of an inch.

"I hope you'll be able to put your trust in me, enough to confide in me about your problems. But I'm done pushing you away. I'm going to do what my heart has always wanted to do. I've liked you for so long Arabella, and even when you were gone, I could never bring myself to stop liking you. You are the only girl in my life that my heart wants to love, and I'm going to make you mine." He said and my eyes widened even more and my mouth opened in shock.

I think I forgot how to breathe–

Did Rhett just admit his feelings?

The same one that I've been trying to suppress!

The jitters that I felt with his confession had my heart skip a beat. A wave of excitement and anticipation rushed through my veins, leaving my stomach in flutters.

But with all this nervousness, it was oddly comforting being in Rhett's presence. This moment felt as if nothing exists but the here and now.

His confession left me in a satisfying peace, yet, I know our time together was short.

I felt Rhett's lips touch the side of my lips and I gasped from the intense euphoria that washed over me.

I raised my shaky hands to cup Rhett's face as my eyes admired the raw intensity behind his gorgeous brown ones. I didn't know what to do or say at that moment.

But I also didn't want the moment to end.

Luckily, before I could do something that would completely change Rhett's and my dynamics, I was saved by the knock on the door as Lucca stared at me with urgency in his eyes.

He motioned towards his phone, and I immediately took mine out to see what he was trying to say.

And the message on my phone snapped me out of whatever candyland trance I was in and I quickly jumped to my feet, ready to leave.

Just as I passed Rhett, I felt a grip on my wrist and I turned around to see Rhett's hopeful yet pleading eyes which faded down as he saw my serious demeanour.

He nodded his head and let go of my hand while taking a step back as if to get out of my way.

I glanced at Lucca and sighed before walking back towards Rhett. I slowly extended my hand to take his big ones and then proceeded to walk out of my room as I pulled Rhett along with me.

Lucca gave a questioning look as if to ask, 'I was sure' and I nodded my head, trusting my instincts. My mind had already made its decision and, this time even my heart agreed with it.

Rhett didn't question anything.

We made our way outside the house towards our car with Lucca in the driver's seat, I in the passenger, and Rhett in the back.

And in silence, we drove our way to the hospital

Turns out Dad was waiting for us in Grandpa's room,

With grandpa wide awake–

***

••