31| Three Surprises

ARABELLA'S POV

Stepping out of Rhett's car with him walking ahead of me, I took another steady breath before striding behind to match up with Rhett's long strides.

We both rushed inside, anger still burning through me at the thought of Kyson and Bryn.

I pulled myself together as I walked through the threshold of the front door. Seemingly how quiet the house was, considering the kidnapping, a bad feeling suddenly rose inside me,

Rhett and I exchanged a glance before rushing into the living room, where we were finally greeted by the rest of the family members, who were engulfed in a dreadful silence.

My eyes scanned the room, as I sensed everyone's attention on me and Rhett, most likely after hearing our footsteps rush inside. My eyes zoomed in on a stoic face grandpa who looked back at me, his hardened eyes devoid of an expression.

Not just Grandpa, but every one in the room had their jaws tightened and their eyes hardened, emitting a dangerous aura I'd never seen before.

"What's going on? Why are y'all sitting idly instead of looking for Bryn and Kyson? They couldn't have gone too far, we can still catch leads.. wait a minute..did you guys find something? What is it?" I asked impatiently, my stomach churning from the lack of reactions from any of my family members.

"Take a look for yourself–" Elijah gritted angrily and nodded his head towards the television in the room.

I cast a quick glance at Rhett, who was already staring at me, before shifting my gaze to the television. Dominic pressed a button on the remote, and the blank screen instantly changed to a bright light with a picture of two words appeared on the screen.

First Surprise...

What the heck!!

My brows furrowed in perplexity of the situation as I looked at Alexander, who was visibly gritting his teeth, Dante stood beside him, his eyes fixedly glaring at the television with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

My eyes searched around the room for Dad, and it was then I noticed that there was no sign of him, even my uncle Alessio and uncle Matteo as well as Lucca and Giovanni were missing.

Where are they...

The daze of my thoughts was shattered when I heard a painful scream and my face instantly jerked towards the T.V, as my vision came in sight of an extremely bruised and battered body of Jesse.

What the hell happened to him, didn't he go on an undercover mission assigned by Elric.

My mouth dropped open in shock as I couldn't take my eyes away from the video of Jesse being shot multiple times until he died.

And the next moment, a scream left my mouth as I saw his body being set on fire, and then the video went blank.

Apart from Jesse's scream in the beginning, the video was completely silent. Not a single sound could be heard, except from heavy breathing that was coming from my end.

My brain was fuzzy, and I was experiencing a wide range of emotions all at once. Tears were brimming in my eyes as the scene of Jesse's death replayed in my mind over and over again.

I didn't like him at first because of what he did to Rhett, but he turned out to be an almost decent person. He took an important part in my training, he was the most strict, and showed no mercy but deep down I knew he was only helping me.

He was my mother's best friend, someone akin of being my maternal uncle, and for the past two years, he was the reason I was able to stay safe and calm under Elric's hostage eyes.