30| Confession

ARABELLA'S POV

The car was deathly silent after my emotional breakdown, only the sound of breathing could be heard. Rhett's grip on my hand didn't slacken, instead it only grew stronger.

An intense wave of embarrassment washed over me as the I eventually returned to reality from my muddled state.

My entire demeanour had now reverted back to being aloof, my mind was screaming at me for losing my act, and now I'm probably a source of amusement to Rhett.

The silence was now accompanied by excruciating awkwardness, and all I wanted to do was dig a hole and hide myself for all eternity, or as long as I'll live.

My breakdown had only one reasonable outcome:

I'm just stupid.

My inner turmoil was put on pause when I heard Rhett's audible sigh, which was followed by Rhett saying, "Arabella, when will you stop trying to hide yourself behind this facade of impassiveness? I can always see right through you. Don't feel ashamed to pour your heart out in front of me, if anything, I'm glad that you trusted me enough to release your pent up emotions, even if it was unintentional." He said and I felt heat rushing up on my face.

I didn't want him to address my stupidity

What an idiot!!!

Well, my idiot.

Seeing my lack of response and me avoiding any sort of eye contact, he heaved another sigh before continue speaking.

"You can't expect life to be fair to you because you are a good person. I'm not going to start with the bullshit that life is unfair to you because you are strong enough to deal with it. Yes, Life is unreasonably unfair, it has it's own fucking rules, sometimes it feels like we are just an object of ridicule in a pointless game seeking for entity, all along entertaining those who control the cycle of fate. This life is so unfair that we are born into this life without our consent, and die without death asking for our permission before taking us away. But what can we do about it? Can you really give up on this play of fates? Can you stop looking for answers to your existence? Can you truly achieve peace without fighting for what you stand for, or deserve?" Rhett questioned, his voice slow but the logic behind his words gave a profound feeling, causing me completely forgo of my embarrassment and attentively look at Rhett, who was facing the road.

"I don't know." I replied truthfully, my eyebrows furrowed as I pondered the meaning of Rhett's words.

Rhett glanced at me and sighed before muttering, "fuck it" before pulling over to the side of the road once more.

He turned to look at me, displaying a myriad of emotions, he then held both my hands into his own, making me glance at his intimate hold before returning my gaze to his eyes.

"Maybe it's not supposed to be easy for you. Maybe you were never meant to be the normal one. Maybe you will never get your 'normal', but you are the only one I know who can handle the adversities and still choose to be a loving person. Despite the storms, you did not give up, instead, you fought, you learned, you survived and grew stronger. I can't tell you when or if this will be over, I don't know if it will get any easier, but I do know that the harder the battle, the sweeter the victory and whether you emerge victorious is entirely up to you. It's going the way it's going because you're built for it." I tilted my head, listening to Rhett as my heart felt relieved of the heaviness that was previously weighed heavily on it.

"Life is a mixture of baffling situations, and every moment is a slew of unexpected surprises, some good and some extremely rough. Of all, surviving is the worst kind of pain, so all I can ask is that you stay strong and keep enduring. I can't promise what will happen in the future, but I can put all my money on the fact that you won't look back on these days and remember how hard they were. Instead, you'll look back and be so proud of yourself for pushing through the tough times because you'll realise how absolutely 'worth it' it all was in the end." Rhett continued, his gaze contained softness.

He took a deep breath and sluggishly raised his hand to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear before bringing his hand to hold mine.

"I don't know what will happen, I don't know if we'll ever end up together in future, but I still want you to know one thing Arabella, that I'm so damn scared of losing you. You came into my life like an untamed blizzard and completely shook my entire world, yet there's never a time when I ever regretted meeting you. I was surrounded by darkness, all I knew was how to carry anger and mounds of pain. I was lost and terrified of living until you came like a blazing ray of hope giving light to my world. You gave me peace and a kind of warm fuzzy feeling that leaves my heart jittery, you became the source for my happiness. You don't know how positively you have impacted my life and I want you to be a part of it for the rest of my life. When you left me all those years ago, I felt completely alone. I was in a pitiful state, a dark abyss was swallowing me in and I didn't want to fight it because I had given up hope. I felt helpless because you were the reason that I seeked to stay alive." Rhett choked on his words, his eyes welling up with tears as I could hear raw emotions in his voice, the type that carried truth.

"Rhett.." I whispered out in daze, my mouth dropped open and my eyes revealed the shock from Rhett's confession that came a bolt out of the blue.

It doesn't make sense that I wanted him to stop, but at the same time I didn't.

"I don't know if the concept of soul mate is true, but if it is, there's no doubt that you are the one made for me, or at least you are the only one I want. I don't know if you feel this connection between us that I can't put into words, but it draws me to you in ways I've never felt before. My feelings for you are so deep, strong and complex that I find it hard to suppress them. Everytime I see you, I want to pull you in my arms and hide you away from everyone else. You had my heart even before I had the chance to realise it myself. You make my heart smile and at the same time you scare it like crazy. I never thought I could ever fall in love or need someone; I never wanted it in the first place, but then you appeared and I wanted everything."

"So this is my confession, as dark as I am, I still seek light, and you are that light for me. I've fallen deeply and madly in love and I know it's steadily growing stronger." Rhett spoke hoarsely, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat as he gulped.

I nervously licked my lips as I felt my heart pounding wildly against my ribcage as if it was going rampage.

My eyes were almost bulging out in shock and anticipation of what I wanted to hear. My chest heaved heavily, rising and falling rapidly.

Rhett cupped my cheeks in his hands, his eyes conveying emotions that sent me into a frenzy. He seemed nervous but masked it behind a small smile.

He moved closer to me and rested his forehead against mine, and nothing in me objected to his actions.

My eyes instinctively closed as I basked in the sensation of being closely intimate to Rhett. I felt my world halting, and a sense of peace finally coming to me.

I loved this feeling.

I opened my eyes as I felt Rhett's gaze on me; and just as our eyes met, Rhett said the words that made my heart skip a beat and nearly took my breath away,

"I love you, so damn much."

**

(A/N- Hey guys 😘

Thoughts on the chapter?

Do you guys feel like Rhett threw the love bomb too soon?

Take care
Love you guys
~Swati💋)

Take careLove you guys~Swati💋)

••