Chapter 40.

Louis swallows saliva, and breaks out in a cold sweat as he sits down on the couch across from his father, who hasn't stopped frowning since he saw him come in.

"Uhmm, I'm... I'm sorry." Is the only thing he can say. Although he doesn't really know what his apology is about, but he is sure that Mark is angry because of him.

"How long have you liked boys, Louis? I want you to be honest with me." He speaks firmly. Louis ducks his head, too embarrassed.

"I really don't know when it started happening. Believe me." He confesses. But Mark doesn't believe a word of it.

"You don't know? You had a girlfriend recently. It must have happened recently." He concludes. Louis nods.

"But it wasn't recently, I'd... I had been attracted to guys before, but I ignored it. I didn't want to accept it. You know, I was in denial, and it kept coming back." Louis isn't able to look at him in the eye while he's talking. Talking about this with his dad is almost a challenge for him. "That's why I... I don't know, I was changing girls so much and harassing the maids. I wanted to erase all that from my head, that absurd idea of being with boys.... But then he came along, I was attracted to him from the beginning, I wanted to ignore him, I tried to push him away.... But I didn't succeed, I got closer than I should have, I allowed myself to explore and discover those hidden feelings, and I simply fell in love, because it's impossible not to with someone like him." He finishes, still with his head down.

Mark sighs deeply, trying to assimilate all the information. It is very difficult for him to understand his son's situation, he never imagined having this conversation with his firstborn, he is surprised, he is indignant. He never criticized homosexuals, he never judged them for having particular tastes, but he never wanted to imagine that his son would ever be one of them. He doesn't understand why this happened, but he'll figure it out.

"Come here, Louis." He pats the couch, and the boy raises his head in astonishment, but quickly walks over to his father and takes a seat next to him.

Mark hugs him, placing his chin on the boy's shoulder. Louis clings to him tightly, feeling that he has everything, that he lacks nothing.

"It's okay, if you like boys it's okay, just like your mother I want your happiness, and if being with a boy makes you happy, then I'll make the wedding arrangements myself." He says, pulling away from the embrace. Louis stops breathing for a moment.

"Really? Do you accept it?" he asks, overly moved.

"The only thing I accept is your happiness, I'm still not quite sure how this works with guys." Louis nods, and understands his father's words. He couldn't be more grateful, so he hugs him again.

"Thank you, thank you very much. He will be very happy. Thank you very much indeed." He repeats in the middle of the hug, with a huge smile.

"It's the least I can do, you're my son." Louis pulls away once more.

"Don't you want to know who he is?" He asks eagerly. But Mark doesn't feel ready, he just shakes his head.

"We'll leave that conversation for another day. I have to get back to work, I had to run away." He answers, standing up. And Louis feels a little disappointed that his father doesn't have the slightest interest in knowing about his boy. Maybe he accepted him, but he doesn't want to know details about their romance.

"Good." He grimaces.

"See you tonight." Mark says goodbye before leaving the room.

Once Mark is gone, Louis runs to Harry's room. He opens the door and watches him from the doorframe. The youngest has changed into his work uniform, baggy pants and baggy shirt, but he still looks beautiful.