~18~ date

Nick pulls into a nice restaurant. "I'll be right back."

I give him a little smile. He walks into the restaurant and comes back out with a bag.

I hold my hand out to see what's in it.

"Nick this is fancy," I say as I scan the contents.

In the boxes with clear tops is a lamb dinner in a red sauce. I can see bread, and something else that I'm pretty sure is soup.

"We were supposed to eat here tonight, but I figured you would prefer a picnic." He shrugs. "It just seemed more us than something over the top."

I smile. "It's perfect."

"My only question is," he puts his hand on the gear shift, "where would you like to eat it?"

I think for a second before realizing we already have the perfect spot.

It only takes fifteen minutes to get to the rock. I climb up the rock and turn to grab the food from him. He climbs up next with no hesitation unlike last time.

"Can I be honest?" Nick says as he hands me my container of food.

"Always."

"I didn't think you would ever want to go on a date with me," he chuckles to himself, "even as I'm sitting here I can't wrap my head around it completely. I just.. I don't want to mess it up, so if I seem nervous or-"

"Nick," I put my hands on his, "I said yes for a reason, and I don't think there's any way you could possibly mess this up."

"That makes me feel a little better." He laughs a little to himself a bit. "I was worried it would be awkward since we were friends first."

"I don't know why exactly," I think out loud, "but I don't think that's going to be the case."

Nick and I clicked so well so fast, but I don't think it's because we were meant to be friends. I'm not one to believe in love at first sight, but I think we had a sense of familiarity. When we saw each other and as we got to know each other it was more of a whisper saying yeah it's you.

Maybe I'm overthinking it too much for a first date, so I won't tell him this. But my gut tells me there's something between us, and I think it's going to last a very long time.

We finish our food but continue talking well into the night.

"I wonder what the lights in Vegas would be like with this kind of view." Nick gestures to the city lights.

"Probably amazing," I let out a breathy laugh, "I love the idea of going to a city and seeing a view like this."

"I want to go to Vegas one day," he thinks out loud.

"I'll go with you," I offer, "and we can find the tallest building."

"Deal," he smiles.

I lay onto my back to look at the stars. "Vegas is a good dog name."

"You think?" Nick lags next to me.

"I think so," I nod, "I can just imagine calling that name out and a little dog running towards me."

"Vegas! Vegas!" he tests it out. "I can see it."

"Or Celeste," I point towards the cast painting of glowing paint on a dark, milky canvas, "Like celestial."

"That's a good one," he admits, "You really like the stars, don't you?"

I shrug. "I like things that glow. I like the city lights and I like the stars. I like neon signs that say open, and I like those little fluorescent fish at the bottom of the sea. They can do things I can't, and I find it fascinating."

"What a beautiful way to phrase the wonders of the world."

We make it back to my house around eleven. He walks me to my door. I sigh as I turn to say goodbye.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask, "George mentioned an irl stream."

"I'll be there," he smiles.

We're quiet for a moment, neither of us wanting the moment to end.

Nick leans in towards me. My heart races quickly as it adjusts to what was happening. I follow his lead and lean closer to him.

Wind causes my hair to flow as the door is ripped open aggressively.

"You're late," Clay says coldly, "as always."

I roll my eyes before turning towards Clay and George. "What the fuck are you guys still doing here?"

"We had to make sure you got home safe." George shrugs as if I should've known this was going to happen.

"So you just stayed in my house for four hours?" I ask, crossing my arms..

Clay nods. "Duh, and obviously it was needed given the hour you're coming home at." He turns to Nick. "Oh good you're here. We need a ride home since we ubered here."

Nick let's put a frustrated sigh. "Okay,"

George walks out the door, pulling Nick with him and away from him.

"Night Taegan," Clay smiles as he pulls on a jacket to leave.

My hands clench into small fists. They really just messed up our moment.

I watch from my door as Clay and George get into the car. Nick is a little behind but making his way to the driver's seat.

Something in my body reacts to him going away without saying a proper goodbye. I have no control as I call out, "Nick!"

My feet move on their own as I make my way to him.

"What's wrong?" his eyes furrow when I approach.

Without saying a word, I take life by the balls as I pull him by his collar into a kiss, not a care in the world about the other two boys in the car. This moment is for Nick and I.

The kiss only lasts a moment before we pull away.

"Goodnight, Nick." I smile as I walk back up to my door. I give the other two gaping boys in the car a quick wave as well.

All three boys are still in the same spot as I lean on the doorframe. Clay's lips move to speak to George. Nick smiles and makes his way to the car once again.

All in all, I would say it was a pretty perfect date.

~author's notes~

we should all take life by the balls more often