~27~ sapnap

~sapnap pov~

Someone slams on the door. A full-on brute force fist to the door. I have never seen George, Dream and I all react so in sync as we muted our mics.

Another slam on the door.

"What's going on?" Quackity laughs, not being able to hear the slams like we can, "Why did you guys all mute at once?"

George is the one to unmute. "You're just not cool enough for us, Quackity. We're leaving you because you're not cool enough."

A message comes through to Dream and I from George. It says that we both go, and he'll worry about the stream.

My body cautiously walks down the stairs. The pounding continues. "Help!" a voice calls out. "It's an emergency! She's hurt really bad!"

Clay meets me at the bottom of the stairs. His eyes are filled with worry as he makes his way to to the door.

We're met with our neighbor. I think his name is Ryle, but I'm not sure. Taegan could tell me. She's friendly with all the neighbors, but I've never really paid too much attention.

"It's her!" he lets out in between heavy breaths. Did he run here? "She was hit.. By a drunk.. Drunk driver."

Taegan.

No it can't be. She was just here half an hour ago. She was just here. Nothing could've happened.

"Come with me," the man gestures for me. What is his name? Why can't I remember it?

My body moves without even thinking. I have to get to her. We make it halfway down the driveway before I remember the stream. I turn my head, surprised to see Clay still standing in the doorway.

"I'll take care of it," he waves me to go.

My breath is short. I can't seem to get a complete breath into my lungs. I nod before following Ryle again.

Taegan. Taegan. Teagan. Please be okay.

"She was walking the dog," he explains as we run down the road. Flashing lights zoom past us towards a crowd of people which are just now coming into view.

"He was drunk, not that that's an excuse. He went halfway onto the sidewalk and.. And well.. I'll be honest, Nick."

How does he know my name, but I can't be positive on his?

"She's hurt pretty bad."

No. She's too strong for that. Nothing will happen to her. She'll persevere.

The crowd of people surround something on the right side of the street. Or maybe not something but someone.

Taegan.

There she is, laying on the floor of a sea of glass. Her face and right side of her body has the worst possible road burn I have ever seen. Her right leg is bent in a way that I didn't know was possible. No, it's not possible.

I hear barking. Vegas. I turn to see him with another neighbor, holding him back.

I put my hand up to steady him, but it doesn't seem to work.

I rush to Taegan's side. Her eyes are already closed. The muddy green windows that are my favorite thing to look at. They're closed tight.

Her hair is a curly brown mess as it's plastered to her face and arms. I don't think sweat is what causes it to stick. It's blood.

"Taegan," I whisper, scared to touch her or cause her pain, "Taegan, please open your eyes. Wake up."

The first responders are coming with a gurney. The police are blocking the neighbors out. They're telling me to move out of the paramedic's way. They start to pull me away actually.

"Taegan!" I say, a lot louder this time, "Open your eyes. Wake up. Please. Don't leave me. Taegan, stay with me."

She doesn't open her eyes. She barely responds. There's one shaky rise and fall of her chest.

I'm being pushed away now. I'm being pushed into the crowd of people.

"No," I yell at the man pushing me, "I have to be there for her when she wakes up. Let me go!"

I get one more glimpse of her laying on the ground untouched. I swear on everything I own that her lips twitched into a smile for just a split second.

Her chest falls but does not rise.

Taegan.

"Nick, Nick come here," a familiar voice says forcefully.

Clay.

His arms wrap around me and force me up onto the sidewalk. We're standing under a tree. George is here now too. I wonder how they got out of the stream, not that it matters.

Clay struggles against me as I force myself towards the ambulance. He holds both my arms back, and I'm pulled tightly against him. Someone moves to the left just slightly and blocks my entire view.

I stop fighting.

Vegas barks in the background. George walks in that direction to retrieve the dog from whatever poor neighbor is holding him back.

The paramedics are doing something. I have to know. I push away from Clay, towards Taegan.

Taegan. Taegan. Taegan.

Someone moves out of my way, and in the place she once was is a puddle of blood.

I scan the area spastically. Red lights. Blue lights. White lights. They flash. My head feels light from everything going on.

And then my eyes catch something and stick to it. They stay glued to a gurney with a covered body on it. They watch every move the paramedics make as they lift it into the vehicle with somber expressions.

Taegan.

I collapse into Clay's arms. I cry like the grown man I am. I cry into Clay's chest. He whispers reassurances, but I don't really hear a single one.

Because it was too late. 

We were too late. 

She's gone.

~author's note~

um so surprise!

this story is actually about losing a loved one and coping with the after affects of it all.. for all who were trying to guess:: the person dying wasn't their mom, the dog,  or one of the feral boys.  it was the main character.

the rest of the book will switch between the all five of the boy's points of views as they cope. the boyfriend, the best friend, the rival, the brother and whatever george is because i still don't have name (suggestions?)

chapters will hopefully (fingers crossed) be posted in five chapter intervals

this story will have a lot of memories with taegan as well, which will be depicted by being in all italics

have a good day and enjoy <3