~52~ the best friend

^art credits @KAT!^

~one month later~

~taegan pov~

I soak in the sun's rays as I lay on top of Lydia. It's one of those days that you can just tell are going to be good.

Lydia is parked on the field by the rock, directly in the sun. The best part about being dead with a dead car is that you never get a sunburn, and your car's paint never peels. Well, more than it already was.

The sounds of tires approaching echo through the empty field.

"You hear the Lydia?" I ask the car as I give it a tap. "We have visitors."

Nick and Karl are the first ones to get out of the car, followed by Clay and Vegas.

Nick passes a football to Clay, and they begin a quick little game. I perch on top of my car and watch. They both have smiles on their faces. They look good. Happy.

Vegas trots over near Lydia and I. He smells the area. Dogs have a sixth sense. They can't see or hear us as ghosts, but they can feel our presence.

"Hi baby," I whisper to him even though he can't hear me.

He perks up but not because of my voice. There's another car coming.

Alex and George get out of the next car, along with Celeste. They hold bags of fast food in their hands.

"Give me mine." Nick holds his hands out.

"No." Alex laughs. "You have to wait until sunset."

"It is sunset, idiot." Clay rolls his eyes as they start to walk towards the fence.

"Well, wait till we get to the rock then."

I smile at their bickering. It'll truly never get old. I follow the group close behind, not wanting to miss a single bit of the sunset.

~alex pov~

We climb under the fence and over to the rock. There's some small scratches on the side of it from when I was upset, but nobody ever pointed them out. They kind of look like natural wear and tear.

Everyone climbs onto the rock with no hesitation this time, unlike the first time Taegan took us here. We watch the sunset from the top of the rock as we eat our fries.

I look over at each of the guys as we eat. I don't know exactly what each of them went through after her death, but I know it was hard for each of them. Looking at them now, they all seem so much better than they did before.

Clay's been doing a lot better at being able to cope with Tae's death. George told me that he doesn't talk to her door as much anymore, although there's the occasional moment. We all have those though. They cleared out part of her room. Not all of it, but at least the trash and things that she left behind. He even just hit a new subscriber milestone, and he's doing a manhunt special sometime this week.

George has taken almost full custody of the dogs. He technically co-owns them with Nick, but George is the one who really takes care of them. He's taken up baking, which I don't really know the story behind. He's just been making a lot of cakes and cupcakes. I've heard from Nick and Clay that his cupcakes are the best things they've ever tasted.

Karl has finally been able to accept Tae's death. We were able to discard of Taegan's phone completely. Karl takes care of everyone else still, but he's also able to tell us when he's struggling too. It's a nice thing we've started where we talk about the hard times while we're coping.