12. 21 Questions

"How'd you know?" I ask trying to stay calm as possible.

"I wasn't sure, I saw the way you looked at Damon like you already have seen him. And now your reaction confirms it" he hums making me slowly nod.

"How did you find out?" He asks.

"Well I was going back from work when I hear a woman's scream so I ran to check and saw him draining blood out of her" I say shrugging.

I am oddly calm for someone who can their throat ripped out.

"And you weren't scared?" He raises his brow at me.

"Pft i was scared shitless" I say making him chuckle.

"And he let you go?"

"Well he looked me in the eyes like he is trying to hypnotize me or something and said that I should forget whatever I saw" I shrug.

"It's called compulsion" he mumbles under his breath.

"Compulsion?"

"Yeah it's like perks of being a vampire, you can compel anyone to forget anything or make them do anything" he explains making me nod at him, "but clearly it didn't work on you" he says as a matter of factly.

"Do you know why?" He asks making me shrug my shoulder, "Before that day I didn't even know vampire existed" I tell him.

He scans my face and body then his eyes rests on my hand.

"That ring who gave it to you?" He points towards the gold ring sitting on my finger.

"I have no memory just the fact that a close friend gave it to me and I can't take it off like physical can't take it off."

"Do you know someone's name start with M? Who might be super close to you?"

"Nope"

"May I?" He extends his palm for me

"Sure" I lift my hand and place it in his hand as soon as my hand touches his palm he lets out a hiss and retracts his hand. And I see a small burn but it already starting to heal.

"Vervain" he says.

I give him a questioning look again.

"You've been compelled before" he says making me eyes widen.

"Explain" I say as my voice wavers. An unknown fear settling in pit of my stomach.

"Whoever gave you that ring definitely knows who vampires are or he or she is one themselves" he says.

"So what does it mean?"

"Well it's vervain so I don't think that person wants to harm, more like protect you from vampires."

"So what is vervain?" I ask him

"Well Mother Nature cannot allow any creature to be born without having a way to kill it so vampires have three weakness more like three things that can kill them: One is vervain which is in your ring. Vervain is a natural plant an herb of sorts. As long as it is on you or in your system you cannot be compelled and if vervain touches a vampire they burn or if they drink something laced with Vervain it weakens them. Second is wooden stakes, any kind. If a vampire is stabbed with wooden stake it will hurt them and if they are stabbed in the heart they die immediately and third is the sun if we walk in sun we burn" he says in one breath making me nod at him.

"Then how come-" I trail and he lifts his hand showing me his ring.

"It's a daylight ring, it protects us from the sun, a witch made it for us" he says making me eyes widen.