Chapter 17: The Shrill Voice

I gasped, panicked. I probably shouldn't have done that unless I wanted them to be suspicious of me. But I couldn't help it I was so surprised I just had to gasp. And because I gasped so suddenly I actually got into a coughing fit and Agua had to pat my back to stop me, asking if I was alright the whole time, which was completely mortifying! And awkward. I eventually stopped and noticed Ghost was on the other side of the bed only his eyes showing. Like he was scared of a few coughs, I knew I wasn't sick so it was ok but I guess he didn't know that. I could feel my cheeks ready to burst of embarrassment. Leviathan seemed to be fine and Agua was here beside me so he didn't take it personally, so then I wondered . . . why was Ghost so scared? It could have been that he was just very, what's the word, scornful. Hiding behind a bed though was a bit extreme if you asked me, I mean I was literally 10 feet away. Or flippers, tail fins, I don't know. I added that to another suspicious thing to the list about him (and this whole place!) in my head.
"What do you mean by Lost Royal Family? Why do you say lost?" "Lost is another term for missing. We use it here because in the way of the seas nothing is truly gone, just lost. As the saying goes, the sea gives, but it also takes." I liked that little metaphor (simile? Alliteration? Ooh, ooh, it's hyperbole! Actually I don't think so). "Agua!" A shrill voice called. "Are you in here! I know you are, there's no sense in trying to hide!" I looked at Agua when the silence had came from the sheer, shrill voice of the girl outside the room who seemed furious. My eyebrows scrunched together, my eyes now in tiny slits, and my lips frowned. Agua did an awkward smile and chuckled then backed away and swam over to the tunnel. " I can explain, you see-" It was only a second later until the horrible shrill voice came back haunting my dreams forever. " That's it, I'm coming in!" An all out teal girl just swam in and didn't even look at me just went along and started talking. I noticed she was the same girl from earlier who had been bragging about almost being asked out by Kai. "I got intel about the princess and-" she spotted me and her eyes turned to slits and she frowned and her hands turned into fists too and she glared at me! Agua had the nerve to ask me out when there was another girl who was screaming his name. I wasn't even mad at the girl I was mad at Agua, I glared at him. Teal Girl shot her hands to her hips and frowned so deep the corners of her lips touched her chin. "Who is she?" The girl said the sentence like it was venom on her tongue. Ignoring the tone and imagining she said it in a sweet voice, I answered,"I'm Zayana." She looked at me and then did such a fake smile, I felt slapped. "I'm Mystic, Agua's girlfriend, are you another girl who fell in love with him?" She tilted her head and sneered, I clenched my fists. "She's not my girlfriend, I mean she used to be, but we broke up because, well things got complicated." Agua explained quickly. She sighed,"You mean you had to break up with me because your grades in school were dropping and I caught you with ANOTHER GIRL!" She was facing Agua again. I suddenly wished I had popcorn. Agua looked as though he was having a hard time not rolling his eyes. "There was literally one girl just swimming by me! You were overreacting! She said 'Good afternoon, Prince Agua' and you screamed the world to tears saying I cheated on you!" She huffed,"Well from my angle it looked like you were holding her hand." I chuckled, Agua looked confused and then shook his head. "You know that's not the important thing right now and besides I'm actually way more happy now that we broke up, so it doesn't matter what you say right now it's not true." He turned toward me,"I'm sorry about all of this and I can explain everything later, right now we should probably go to my mom now. Didn't you mention her needing me?" I nodded just recalling why I had come here and when I was supposed to be back.
      As we retracted our . . . swishes(?), I thought about something Agua had said earlier and pondered over the realization for what seemed like years. How did Agua know I ended up in this situation because a guard assumed I was stealing?