Chapter 3: The Secret

"-Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt? I don't know what you're talking about? You so crazy." I said unsure and scared. "Don't call me crazy and I already told you, I know." I sighed, no use trying to hide it now. I sat down on the step,"How'd you find out? And why aren't you freaking out?" Auntie A stood up and held my oval necklace,"Your parents gave you this necklace to monitor you since they left. It's supposed to turn purple when it happens."
I looked down at my necklace and saw it had completely changed colors. From the majestic blue that had matched the water in the cave, to a royal purple that matched the crystal.
Auntie A closed her eyes stressed out by the topic and took such a big breath her cheeks blew up and she rubbed her temples while leaning back into the chair. "I need to tell you something that I should have told you a long time ago. Your mother is, or was or . . . is, a mermaid and your father was like you, in a way, he was human. From two completely different worlds they found love for each other even when it seemed incredibly impossible." Auntie A glided gracefully into the living room and sat on the couch. I followed her wanting to know what in the world she was talking about. "What . . . what do you mean?" I asked, so mystified by the words coming out of Auntie A's mouth. "It was forbidden to even go to the surface. But your mother did and that's where she met your father." She said dismissing my question. "He loved fishing. Right above our kingdom too." I paused, wait, kingdom?! "That is where your mother went to see your father every week. She told me to cover for her every time. Then one day he saw her, they talked and I don't know, their hearts were drawn to each other. She told me his favorite sayings was,'Love will reign supreme!'" I hated the way Auntie A said "was." "So my mom was like Ariel?" I asked, Auntie A chuckled. "In a way sure, minus the red hair and that Dad, your grandfather, didn't ever approve of her going to the surface and especially when your father and mother eloped and your mother ventured to the sacred ocean parts of the Bermuda Triangle to turn herself human. She nurtured it into the crystal that you must've seen today." Auntie A reached forward and caressed my necklace in her fingers. "This crystal is a part of the bigger piece. She knew the consequences, she wasn't able to turn back into her original form. So she gave the crystal back and I took care of it. But I didn't want the responsibility so I asked an old friend of the family to hold the crystal in a magical cave that teleports to a different location everyday. The one I specifically told you not to go near." Auntie A said glaring, my cheeks flushed and I looked down at my bare feet. "Your father was a scientist, he experimented. While he was testing this crystal, you were born, when they saw you human they thought you would never be welcome in the water world. Your mother sent me pictures and, when I was still learning how to use the phone, I accidentally sent a picture all over the seanet." Auntie A smiled at the distant memory,"Anyway your father stopped all his work and decided to make something to be able to let him turn into a merperson as well. He believed there was an answer where your mom grew up. And he found it, but a few days after, his crew turned on him. They wanted to see the water world too. Your father said no. That day I had called seeing how your mother was doing. Your father had made phones that would work above and below water, when someone had ran inside the house. Those people were your father's workers." I spluttered over my words,"Okay, first of all, what?! Second, I don't understand." "Just listen, your father wouldn't let them take the secret formula he said it craved too much power and it would turn them into a mermaid or merman, something they weren't ready for. When they heard that they were furious and tried to take it so your father and mother had to move. They left everything behind and moved to Alaska, those people found your parents over and over again. Your father and mother grew tired of running and stopped. A different afternoon than the time before, you were inside the house and I called. Your mother told me to use the crystal, that I needed to come now. That they had found you again, she told me that she couldn't stand the thought of what would happen if they were able to lay hands on you. I was so frightened, so I swam as fast as I could to the surface and learned to walk for the first time, took me a little while. When I finally made it I had to fight alongside your mother and father." Auntie A paused,"Your mother was incredible. She defeated mounds of full grown men and women while holding you in her arms." I stared wide-eyed at Auntie A,"Really?" She smiled,"Really." Auntie A paused again and glanced at me nervously, a little heartbreak in her eyes too. "After the fight I told your mom to come with me and she told your dad to come too but he told her that they had to leave you, that they had to run away." Auntie A must've seen my hurt expression and took my hand. She continued in a steely determined voice,"Your mom sobbed and pleaded. She didn't want to leave you. She didn't want to leave him." I couldn't hold them in anymore, tears poured down my face. All this time I thought my parents wanted to leave me. I thought they left me by choice, but now I finally saw that they didn't want to leave me. They would never if they had a choice. I didn't even attempt to swipe at my tears. Auntie A gladly wiped at my eyes for me. "Your mother said she didn't want to miss you growing up, she said she loved you too much to let you go." Auntie A squeezed my hands lovingly. "You were the world to your parents. But we knew reinforcements were coming and your father finally persuaded her so I ran and I hid." Auntie A looked around like she was seeing the battle all over again,"I was a coward, I didn't try to fight. I always wished I was more like my sister but I could never amount to her." A lone tear slipped down her cheek to the very point of her chin where it dropped off onto her jeans. I didn't know what to say, what to do . . . I had never seen Auntie A like this. "This is where the final battle was fought. Once I knew they were gone I took you back in the house and sat you down in a chair. I cleaned everything up with the help of friends and fortunately it only took a year. I took care of you as if my own." Auntie A caught my eyes and smiled. I didn't smile back, I looked down and frowned. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes,"Where are my parents now?" I asked dreading the answer. "I'm not sure but they didn't," Auntie A took a deep shaky breath,"I don't know if they made it." Another tear rolled down her cheek. "But you said that my parents were on a trip and . . . it'll take a really, really long time until they . . . come back," I could tell now how that could've been a lie. I was so stupid to believe that. "I'm sorry I should've told you but I was scared you weren't old enough to know, that you would've taken it more harshly. But, I know now that you are a mature young woman and I should've told you."  "So my mom was a mermaid and my dad was a scientist. My parents are really dead." Auntie A quickly corrected me,"Now we don't know that for sure, Zayana. Don't give up hope."
Tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't explain how many years I dreamt of my mom and dad coming home to me and then us going to a dinner and eating everything on the menu, and eating ice cream and then we would watch a movie and then at the end of the day they would tuck me in and kiss me goodnight just like everyone else's parents do to their kids. They would tell me how much they love me and then I would dream about our day. Now I'm finding out that they might be gone. That they're probably not coming back ever! Now I'm finding out none of those things I dreamed of might ever happen. That I might not have parents! How badly I got bullied, the kid whose parents didn't want them! That all those days that I bragged to kids that my parents travel around the world exploring, I was lying! Now I'm finding out that . . . that I never got to say I love you.
    Auntie A rested her hand on my shoulder,"I believe with my whole heart that your mother and father are still alive." I focused on the anger for the person after my parents. Anger was easier than overwhelming sadness. "What was the name of this person? I'll hunt them down to the ends of the earth." "His name is not important, Zayana, I don't know where exactly he is but I know that he got the formula and he can turn from human to merman whenever he likes and that he somehow found the kingdom to the water world." There was a pause. "Zayana, listen, now that you've transformed for the first time they'll come after you, you are on their radar. We need to run, your transformation sends out a beacon that Rob is free to come after you. But first I have to tell you a few other stuff about your personality. Your name is not Zayana, well it is, and it isn't. Your name is Aquiana and you are from Atlantic to be specific, you are the long lost princess of Atlantic City and you must stop them before they take over the ocean." This was too much. "Who's they!? What do you-you-you mean my name is Aquiana and I'm a long lost princess?! You never mentioned that! I'm guessing that my mom was the queen and I'm supposed to stop the guy who killed my parents? Wait, how do I know you're not lying again?" Auntie A rolled her eyes exasperated,"You can trust me, Zayana but be aware of those around you." I abruptly stood up and shrugged Auntie A's hand from my shoulder. "I need time to think about this. I'm going to the beach." I stormed over to the coat rack, grabbed my crocs, and slammed the door shut behind me.
    I didn't take my phone even though I had already decided that I was going to tell Una and Luna everything no matter what anyone said. I didn't want anyone else's opinion right then. I sat there until the sun was already halfway down the end of the ocean and the pink and purple haze was smeared across the whole entire sky.
    I gazed longingly at the ocean and imagined a home with my mom and dad. I'd never seen them but I imagined their faces beaming back at me when they saw their daughter had returned. I hugged my knees and buried my face in my arms. My mom. My dad. If I really had lost them I would never forgive myself.
    Technically the reason they were attacked was because of feelings. They fell in love and had me therefore the cause of this is love in the category of feelings. The result being my family in danger. I had never really had feelings for someone before so I couldn't talk from experience but it seemed like love was the cause of everything and not in a good way. Hmmm, what if I just never fell in love with anyone? Good plan, good plan, I would never get hurt emotionally. I'd be set for life! I scowled at myself. I sounded crazy.
    The longer I stared at the ocean and the wind gently whispered in my ears, the more I wanted to be in the water. I slowly rose to my feet. The water felt like it was controlling me, my body. In less than a moment my feet were bare and my toes were cradling sand. I was taking slow strides toward the crashing waves.
    My trance was broken as soon as I heard a loud smash. I looked back and didn't even want to risk the possibility of it coming from my house. Carrying my shoes, I ran home as fast as I could to see the door knocked down completely. Wood splinters everywhere. A low deep voice echoed through the halls and I ran to the back door. When I didn't see Auntie A there I ran upstairs to find her in the balcony area. I smashed into Auntie A and she hugged me. "I was just about to go and get you," Auntie A whispered. "Auntie A, what was that? What happened to the door?" I heard the deep voice again and squeezed Auntie A tighter. "They're here," I looked up at her scared out of my mind. I didn't dare ask who 'they' was, I already knew.