Chapter 1

Keyz

It's a dark, starry night with the moon glistening upon the majestic trees on the shallow ground. I am walking with Trinity Thorne, my cousin. "Do you remember what happened in Science?" Trinity asks me on the verge of laughing. "Yeah, I can't believe Sir almost blew up the entire laboratory." I reply. I try not to laugh but it was just so funny. We were in our science class and we were learning about metals with cold water. The next one was Rubidium. Not knowing in fact how reactive it truly is. He took a sliver of Rubidium and placed in into the tank of cold water, it was behind a glass shield and it eventually exploded. It was quite hilarious.

On our way to our grandma's house. I suddenly feel we're being watched. I elbow her when we pass the two boys on the bench. "The one with black floppy hair is cute." She whispers. "I like the other one" I say, we start to laugh. They are staring at us as if they were waiting for something. One of the boys stands up and moves towards us. I grab Trinity and hurry on towards the house. Never looking back.

I look up once again at the sky that shone brightly with light now covered in a dark blanket as if shadows scratched across it. For a storm starts to brew from the midst of the clouds. As lightning and thunder battle each other, spreading across the town to strike. As the cracks and rumbles shake the town to its core. With its savage eyes flashed across us, searching for the shadows as its voice screeches across scaring its opponent. With its golden arms striking the cold grey spectre. The tears of the opponent scatter around us, freezing us to our bones as we pace ourselves to the home.

We have finally arrived at grandma's house, safe and sound against the warm walls. When we entered, my teeth are still chattering. I call to my grandma and she enters the room with a stern look upon her face and because of that I knew it has to be serious. She sits down with a worried expression. "Darlings, you shouldn't have come here tonight." Her hands constantly shaking, uncontrollably. She is worried. "You must go now!" She is trying everything to push us away but we weren't going anywhere until she explained what the hell was going on. She's arguing, forcing us to leave. Constantly mumbling about getting us somewhere safe'. I don't understand. This is the safest place I knew. Grabbing us- pushing us away trying to get us to leave. With a scroll in her hands...I run and grab the scroll. I back away from her up to the wall and read:

Hello Katherine Slayer of the Spirit-Hunter Union,

I am most apologetic for writing this but there was no other way, you removed yourself from our help so I write this to you at this horrific time. You have dedicated yourself to a very wealthy cause. You have protected not only your family and loved ones but mundanes throughout the world. For that we thank you for your service. We know that you have never broken the Spirit-Hunter to mundane code:

You must never speak of your services with us to anyone. You must not speak of what we are and how we came to be. You must keep everything a secret. You must relieve everything you ever had as a Spirit-Hunter. If you must keep anything for protection, you must hide it and never allow anyone to see or use it. You must not use any weapon of ours now you are not with us.

But on the 5th of January, I beg of you to break this code of honour and promise. The demons have been awakened as the Queen arises from her palace. She has been tracking families of Spirit-Hunters. Some Families are deceased, completely cut from the lines. There is one that I thought you should know. The Nightfury family are dead, even our weapons couldn't defend them from that demon. My condolences for the loss Mrs Slayer. Some families are fighting against this beast even as I write: the Silvermoon and Hunter families which I know your grandchildren are in connection with. Though thou shalt not worry the connection barriers are safe.