chapter 12

The battle begins

Josh

Today is the day our world goes to hell. The sky is swirling. The wind is freezing, wanting to turn us all into ice. The tree's shudder at the thought of hell coming here. I sit in the caravan waiting for everyone else to awake. I can't sleep, knowing that she will be there, waiting for me. Just thinking about that sends shivers down my spine. Tom and Holly are the first to get up. Holly's face is bright red with heat. Tom's face is pale. He then gasps down in pain. His mind is playing tricks on him. All demons do this but it affects him the most. Because of his gift, every day, as we are getting closer to the battle, he has a pain spasm. Right now they are as bad as they could possibly be. He sees me studied him and he glares at me. I know he hates me but today I'm going to prove him wrong. Unless she's there.

Keyz is the next to get up. Not once did she meet my gaze but when she finally did, all I could see in her eyes was desperation and sadness. But then Zach enters the room and that's when Keyz's eyes start to water. I knew she still had feelings for him even when she tries to convince me she didn't. But I swear to God, if he doesn't stop hurting her then I'm going to drain his energy nice and slow. As if he's reading my thoughts, he smiles at me. He makes me sick. Last but not least, Trinity and James get up. They smile at each other but then they look around the room and realise what today is.

Bang. The table shook. Cups fell of the table, smashing on the floor. James holds Trinity in a protective grip. The drawers full of glass objects fall on top of James and Trinity. Smashing all over the floor. The room starts to spin out of control but then suddenly the shaking stops. I rush towards them both and rip the drawers of them. James is not hurt but Trinity has a cut across her hand. She waves of our concerns. "Let's go to war." She says picking up the bow and arrow. She slips the sword into the belt buckle. James grabs her hand and bandages the wound even though she protests. I glance at Keyz and she grabs my hand. I squeeze her hand and smile at her. She smiles back. I look at Zach, His jaw clenches. I know he is angry but I don't care. Let's go to war.

We stand outside with the clock ticking 5:45. They are close I can smell them. In the distance I can see a line of pure black. They have arrived. Holly and Tom both have their swords out and ready. I grab my spear and hold it at my side. Zach turns to metal and nods at tom. "Keyz, you're going to need me. To generate you electricity, you need your Salmarti or in your case one of them. You need to use me to generate the electricity." Keyz goes to object but Zach interrupts. "You need me. Remember what I told you." She agrees. She presses her hand against his chest and generates all her bad memories. A moment past and then suddenly a huge electrical current shoots out of her hand. She smiled, it works. The first lot of demons arrive but too bad for them because we already made up a plan. Keyz and Trinity race in the centre. James and Zach stand at the side. Tom and holly stand to the left and I stand at edge. We all slice the demons down until we were in the centre. James chucks Trinity in the air and she cleanly rips of the heads of two demons. Zach stands back to back with me. Duck! He whispers. I duck and he stabs the demon racing at me. All of them were gone. I am exhausted yet Tom, Trinity and Holly didn't even break a sweat. Knowing we have a bigger, much bigger challenge now. She's arrived.

I recognise her with her snake like tongue. Her millipede legs swirling along the ground. Spreading her poison around. Her witch like fingers clawed at her dress. Her scruffy hair that exploded down her back. Her bloody fangs that dripped the blood of the innocent. I could hear her laugh from the distance. Her malevolent laugh. "Well, well what do we have here?" She laughs. It echoes around us. Her face stiffens as she saw me. "Why, why aren't you by my side son?" Everyone looks around and their eyes shoot out at me.

"I will never be on your side." I spit at her. She may be related to me by blood but she will never be my mother.

"Son, please come here." She looks sincere but never will I fall for that again. But I cannot let them hurt her. The spirit hunters won't hurt her. Holly whispers to Tom and charges. Let the battle commence.

I watch Holly run towards something. The first demon runs past me. The second, I nicely cut his head off. The blood gushes out of the demon but then it falls to the ground. Holly is racing towards my mother. "No!" I scream. Holly glances at me but doesn't stop. "Stop!" I scream and still she continues. I race towards her and run in front of her. She pushes me out of the way. She jumps and raises her sword. My mother stands there and smirks. "NO!" I scream. Holly goes limp and falls onto the ground. I take my spear out of her heart. Blood gushes out of her body. She starts to choke. She coughs and the scent of her blood hit me. Demon can always smell blood. She grabs my shirt and raises her sword. I slam my spear into her body once again. A tear strolls down her face. She whispers her last word. Tom. I step over the dead body, trying not to think of what I have just done.

*

Keyz

The electrical power I wield is absolutely amazing. The way I could control it without any problems or hesitation. I glance at Zach and he looks stress with a bead of sweat drips down his metal face. A demon faces me. It is one I have never recognised before. I sent him my electricity hoping it would make him burn like the rest. It spirals around the demon and it sent it shooting back. I scream. He just electrocuted me. I send another one and it smashes against my side. I cripple hoping it would leave me. The demon cripples as he fell to the ground with an arrow piercing its rotten heart. "Go to hell." She says. She brings the sword down. The head rolls around and stares straight at me. With its eyes popping out of its head. Trinity looks at me and nods. I look at my hand and can see burns. Trinity has a cut on her head. Blood pouring down her face but she doesn't care. My thoughts are soon crushed by a scream we all recognised. Toms.

*

Josh

Tom's scream shatters us all and he sees Holly's body on the floor. He has seen what I have done. Her death destroys him. Demons trap him. They are going to kill him and he doesn't care. I race forward and kill the entire demon circle that surrounds him. He looks at me and it's clear he wants to kill me but it is also clear he wants to die himself. I won't let anyone I care about die!

*

James

I wipe the sweat of my forehead. God I am exhausted. Me and Tom face a fire demon. Deadly thing. One shot of its vile flame and you're dead. He shoots. I quickly duck and roll out of the way. Tom uses his sword to defend himself of the shooting fireballs. I cut of the tail. It yelps and starts to shoot continuous fire balls. I can feel the heat fly of them from a mile away. Tom leaps forward and kills the demon. I can see his pain. It must be excruciating. I look around and make sure everyone else is still alive. Keyz and Zach are alive, controlling her electricity. I see Josh in the distance but where is Trinity? I look around, now frightened. Someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around. Trinity is right behind me. Now it's time to end this!