Chapter 42 {Beasts, Here We Come}

"Oh~ We're off to kill some beasts~ Oh yes we are~ We're off to kill some beasts~ May it be scary or bazaar~" the blonde girl sang as they skipped through the forest. Her friends only looked at her, questioning the blonde girl's already questionable sanity. Perhaps the jazz hands in the last bit were too much.

"We shall tear through its skin~ Oh yes we are~ And we skin it nice and clean~ Oh yes we are~"

"Okay, this song is too much." Kathryn stopped the girl from further singing. "I get those guys had pissed you off but reel back on the bloodlust, won't ya?"

"I am just getting into a murdering mood," Cynthia pouted. She crossed her arms. "I mean, we are gonna slaughter beasts that have been terrorizing poor villagers."

Avelyn grimaced at her words. "I mean we don't have to," the brunette who had been on the edge with harming, much less killing creatures.

Cynthia gasped at her. "Hush child, you don't know what you talking about." She grabbed a finger to her lips.

"Cut it out, Thia." Kathryn pulled her back. She sighed at the overly dramatic girl before glancing back at the brunette. "What do you mean, Lyn?"

The brunette girl fiddled with her fingers. "W-Well..." She became uncharacteristically shy once all attention was on her. "It was never stated what creatures were terrorizing the village...so I thought this may be a big...misunderstanding?" Her words sounded like a question.

"Misunderstanding?" Erina blinked at her.

Avelyn nodded her head, "I'm sure there is a reason for it. I mean beasts and monsters are not mindless creatures. There gotta be a reason. Perhaps overpopulation? Destruction of habitat that caused them to venture into human-occupied lands..." She listed them out but her frown grew at each suggestion.

"Oh!" Roselyn clapped her hands in realization. "You mean perhaps we could figure out what is the cause so we wouldn't need to resort to violence." The orange-haired girl concluded.

"Ehhh? But I like violence..." Roselyn sweatdropped at Cynthia's whine.

Kathryn however rolled her eyes at the girl. "Of course you do, but I do think Avelyn may have a point. It would be beneficial in a long term if we fix the problem from the source."

"And prevent the same thing from occurring again." Yumi also added.

Lily nodded, much too happily at the suggestion. "Yes, I like that plan." Any plan without the need to resort to violence is always a good one in her book.

"B-But..." Cynthia's eyes watered as all her friends seemed to be on board with Avelyn's idea. "My killing song..." She made it up for nothing then.

"We won't be killing anything, Cynthia." Kathryn sighed.

"Or slaughtering," Erina added with a sweatdrop.

"Or any stabbing." Roselyn also inputted.

The blonde swordswoman whimpered, "not even a little bit?"

Avelyn looked distraught at the despair painted on her face. "...sorry, Cynthia-sama. Not even a little bit." She wanted to take her words back as she could practically see a grey cloud looming over her.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. Avelyn turned to see Yumi shaking her head. "Be strong," the pink-haired girl said.

"B-But what if the beasts are just bloodthirsty monsters? Not even then?" Cynthia tried, her lips trembling. She knows she's an ugly crier but she is desperate for some slaughtering, okay!

"Sure, Thia." Kathryn clicked her tongue. She shared a glance with Avelyn. The brunette nodded with a weak smile which made Kathryn sigh. "If we failed to find any cause, then sure. You can go kill and murder all the monsters to your heart's content. Happy?" The green-haired girl rubbed her temple.